2019 IT Industry Outlook
CompTIA’s annual IT Industry Outlook provides insight into the trends shaping the industry, its workforce, and its business models. Below are some of the highlights from the report:
12 trends CompTIA says to watch for in 2019:
- Cloud, Edge and 5G Form the Modern Economic Infrastructure
- IoT and AI Open New Possibilities in Ambient Computing
- Distributed Technology Models Challenge Existing Structures
- Stackable Technologies Supercharge Digitization Efforts
- Business of Emerging Technology Prompts Sales Channels Reinvention
- Hyper-personalization Takes Customer Experience to Next Level
- Partnerships Bridge Gaps in New Tech Ecosystem
- Persistent Tech-Worker Shortages Fuel New, Creative Solutions
- Digital-Human Models Begin to Shape the Workplace of Tomorrow
- Technology Professionals Take the Lead in Anticipating Unintended Consequences
- High Tech Increasingly Transforms Low Tech
- Global Tech Hubs Put Spotlight on the Ingredients for Innovation
“This year’s trends reaffirm the importance of thinking about technology holistically,” said Tim Herbert, senior vice president for research and market intelligence at CompTIA. “While discussions of ‘The Next Big Thing’ have their place, the practical reality for most organizations is the need to understand how technology building blocks spanning infrastructure, applications, data, and as-a-service models fit together.”
Emerging tech jobs skyrocketed in 2018, as shown by the graph below, and are forecasted to continue growing in 2019.
Nearly 4 in 10 U.S. tech firms report having job openings and are actively recruiting candidates for technical positions. Another 34% report having openings on the business unit side, such as project managers, market specialists, or sales engineers. Among hiring employers, more than half indicate it is due to expansion, while a similar percentage indicate the need for emerging skills in areas such as machine learning, IoT integration, or robotics process automation (RPM).
52% of firms expect tech hiring to be more challenging in 2019 than last year. See the main challenges leaders face below.
Need help finding talent? Check out our flexible staffing service offerings.