2018 Developer Survey
In Stack Overflow's annual Developer Survey, over 100,000 developers revealed how they learn, build their careers, which tools they’re using, and what they want in a job.
- DevOps and machine learning are important trends in the software industry today. Languages and frameworks associated with these are on the rise, and developers working in these areas command the highest salaries.
- The top 5 used frameworks/libraries/tools are Node.js, Angular, React, .NET Core, and Spring.
- The top 5 used databases are MySQL, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and SQLite.
- The top 5 most popular development environments are Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio, Notepad++, Sublime Text, and Vim.
- The 5 top-paying programming languages worldwide are F#, Ocaml, Clojure, Groovy, and Perl, all with a median salary at or above $70,000.
- When it comes to job search status, 60% of developers are not actively looking but open to new opportunities, while 16% are actively looking for a job.
- The top 3 factors developers assess when looking for a job are compensation/benefits, languages/frameworks/technologies, and opportunities for professional development.
- When assessing a prospective job, different kinds of developers apply different sets of priorities. Women say their highest priorities are company culture and opportunities for professional development, while men say their highest priorities are compensation and working with specific technologies.
- When asked what they hope to be doing in 5 years, a third of respondents hope to be working in a different or more specialized role than their current role and a quarter hope to be working as a founder or co-founder of their own company.
- In regards to job satisfaction, 55% report being moderately to extremely satisfied with their career while 19% report being dissatisfied.