Position: Scrum Master
Location: Madison, NJ 07940
Term: 8 Months
The Scrum Masters job is to deliver maximum value to the customer. The primary responsibilities are to serve the team and product owner in turning requirements into working software, track progress, metric and reporting, relationship building, and help the team achieve their commitments. They may work with several concurrent teams that could cross multiple business units.
As the Scum Master they should embody the five Scrum values (courage, focus, commitment, respect and openness) and enable the transparency, inspect and adapt principles. They will need to be the driving force for ensuring scrum is understood and executed and work in collaboration with the Development Team Leader, Technical Product Manager, and Business Product Owner. The SM will be responsible for coaching the scrum team to self-organize and create high-value products and remove impediments to the Teams’ progress. The Scrum Master will facilitate all scrum events and support the team in following the Scrum framework. In addition, the Scrum Master will also handle some project management duties, including communication of status, budget oversight, approvals for expenditure, and risk/issue monitoring. They may also aid with authoring user stories, acceptance criteria and testing.
This role will also be expected to take on additional responsibilities beyond the scope of their immediate job, to be agreed upon on an individual basis.
Essential Job Requirements
- Leadership- Providing all support to the team using a servant leadership style and leading by example, personify Scrum and Agile, “true leader who serves the Scrum Team and the larger organization”.
- Planning – Ensure the team is exercising the appropriate level of planning to meet product goals and timelines, while focusing on delivery of value; organize and lead status and working sessions, prepare and distribute progress reports; manage risks and issues; aid the team in correcting deviations from plans or pivots when needed.
- Team Support – Promote empowerment of the team and assist in team development while holding teams accountable for their commitments, remove roadblocks to work; and mentor/coach team members. Ensure that each team member is fully engaged and making a meaningful contribution. Guide and coach on how to use Agile/Scrum practices & values. Guide and coach on how to get the most out of self-organization. Facilitate getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work. Facilitate discussions, decision making, and conflict resolution and all scrum ceremonies. Collaborate with the team in scheduling work, including defect remediation and refactoring, guarding against the accumulation of technical debt.
- Product Support – Partner with the Technical Product Manager and Product Owner in managing expectations for outcomes, stakeholder communications, and working with the scrum team. Collaborate closely in the following areas: backlog grooming, enhancing team communication, improving team morale, ensuring cross-dependencies are known, clarifying the product vision and facilitating events.
- Continuous Improvement –champion continuous improvement initiatives to implement best practices for Agile/Scrum frameworks. Ensure changes and strategies that are generated by scrum retrospectives are implemented. Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization and coaching the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization
- Degree - information technology or business or related field.
- Must have First level Scrum Master certification (CSM ) (PSM), PMI-ACP
- Experience playing the Scrum Master role for at least three years for a Scrum team.
- Excellent skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Exceptional people skills. Comfortable working with a diverse group of people and serve as arbitrator when conflicts arise.
- Knowledge of numerous well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach(example: numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc)
- The ability to distinguish between what "is Scrum" what is "not Scrum"
- Knowledge of other approaches discussed in the Agile space: XP, Kanban, Nexus, LeSS, SAFe, Crystal, FDD, etc
- Knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration,
- Exceptional communication and mentoring skills
- Solid understanding of and demonstrated experience in using appropriate tools:
- Agile tools such as Jira, Rally, or equivalent
- Microsoft Project, Visio, and all Office Tools
- Understanding of financial controls needed in project management and consulting work
- Experience with Budget tracking
- In depth understanding of how to scope and estimate work. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Understanding of Agile and product metrics
- Experience applying a wide variety of well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (example: numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc)
- Second or Third level Scrum Master certification (PSM II, PSM III, CSP, CTC)
- PMI-PMP, and CSPO or equivalent preferred
- Experience being on multiple Scrum teams in a variety of different contexts (different team sizes, different organizations, different cultures, co-located vs. distributed, etc)
- Track record of continued and recent education in Scrum, including training, conferences, user groups, self study, etc.