Richardson based company is seeking a Software Configuration Manager to join their team for a permanent/direct-hire opportunity. The best candidate will be able to evaluate current processes and drive them to the leading edge. The organization is fully invested in developing a DevSecOps organization and this resource can lead the transformation.
In this key role, you will lead the Software Configuration Management team to design and implement automated build processes to improve the quality of the deliverable. The Software Configuration Manager is responsible for establishing and maintaining the configuration management practice. This will require a seasoned leader who has experience managing software configuration across a diverse technological landscape. The Software Configuration Manager will collaborate with multiple IT groups to establish and maintain industry-standard processes that maximize productivity and deliver high-quality releases into production. This position oversees revision control and the establishment of baselines. The Software Configuration Manager will recommend and implement continuous process improvements. This role requires a strong blend of technical expertise with excellent communication skills with the ability to influence change.
Essential Functions (fundamental, crucial job duties performed in a position. include how the person is to perform them including frequency of tasks)
The Software Configuration Manager is responsible for defining and executing the software configuration management (CM) process for all IT projects. (S)he will continue CM support throughout the application life cycle. Responsibilities include:
- This role will establish the strategic direction and corporate guidelines for CM best practices.
- Responsible for managing and maintaining complex builds, deployments, and source control environments.
- Coach and lead development teams to produce clean, maintainable code which follows industry best practices.
- Collaborate with development to troubleshoot and quickly resolve build errors.
- Automate build processes to increase operational efficiency and reduce human errors.
- Manage and maintain baseline plans and roll-out plans. Take part in the Release Management process in collaboration with the Project Manager and IT leadership.
- Collaborate with vendors and suppliers ensuring coordination between applications where shared configuration is required.
- Maintain traceability capability of all current and historical data relative to each configuration item throughout its life cycle.
- Generate required monthly status reports, technical reports, progress reports, briefings, and demonstrations.
- Manage/technical-related deliverables and administrative support.
- Perform CM audits as planned in application/project plans and report on CM status.
- Collaborate with the project manager, application architect, and lead developer in leading configuration management setup, integration strategy, deployment strategy, and Go/No-go decisions.
- Establish configuration management tasks. Delegate and track these tasks across project teams.
- In the context of projects, the configuration manager will also be expected to play a key contributing role in the maintenance & customization of automated procedures (e.g. development & maintenance of deployment scripts as required).
- Use approved CM tools to store, track and manage configuration items.
- Work closely with development teams to determine build requirements, fulfill build requirements, and provide timely resolution of build problems
- Trains and supports developers on configuration management tools
- Assist in defining and implementing software configuration management policies, standard procedures, and tools
- Perform management tasks for SCM team to include performance reviews, coaching/counseling, onboarding of new hires, and leading the interview process for open SCM positions
- Demonstrate regular and predictable attendance for assigned shifts.
Competencies (knowledge, skills, and abilities the person needs to do the job)
- Ability to effectively respond and manage multiple conflicting priorities
- Ability to prioritize work and efficiently respond to unexpected changes
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively within Configuration Management team and within cross-functional teams
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to define and scope improvements to the system
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required in Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years’ experience in software configuration required
- Software configuration manager Subject Matter Expert (SME).
- Experience implementing ITIL Configuration Management and Release Management.
- Strong hands-on experience developing and maintaining full CI/CD pipelines
- Experience managing Micro Service applications and deployments
- Experience managing Cloud Environments (OCI, GCP), multi-tenant and multi-cloud a plus
- Technical knowledge or equivalent:
- Automated Test Management a plus
Preferred Education and Experience
- Experience with software development languages like Java, PL/SQL, python will be helpful
- Prior experience leading teams, and/or cross-functional teams strongly preferred