Position: Linux Systems Administrator
Location: Onsite 5 days a week - Carrollton, TX 75010
Term: 6 Months
- Ensures completeness of technical requirements and analysis for the support of system business solutions.
- Identifies requirements gaps or issues.
- Works with business areas to ensure proper communication/review of requirements and support.
- Evaluates technical requirements for incidents and requests to determine the impact to the infrastructure including equipment redundancy and capacity requirements.
- Installs, configures, and tests infrastructure modifications.
- Assists in the business process redesign and documentation as needed for current and new technology.
- Makes recommendations to improve security and participates in investigations as needed.
- Adheres to security requirements.
- Designs, plans and leads testing efforts and coordinates feedback of test results.
- Escalates problems as needed.
- Assists in establishing requirements, methods and procedures for routine maintenance and performs them.
- Ensures performance meets the present and future needs of the business.
- Forecasts utilization patterns and identifies modifications or upgrades.
- Designs reports to identify patterns and trends.
- Ensures continuous monitoring procedures are set per the company standard and requirements.
- Recommends changes/enhancements for improved systems availability, reliability and performance.
- Recommends operational metrics.
- Analyzes metrics to understand performance and identifies opportunities for continuous improvements.
- Performs Level 2 incident assessment and resolution on infrastructure solutions.
- Investigates alternative methods to expedite problem resolution.
- Recommends procedures and controls for problem resolution, creates temporary solutions until permanent ones can be implemented.
- Researches, analyzes and recommends the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify current problems or similar future problems.
- Reviews checklists and scripts and updates as needed.
- Works with auditors and security groups to ensure adherence to governance, regulations, and compliance with policies and procedures.
- Assists in developing SLAs or OLAs.
- Works with vendors to resolve problems and develop infrastructure solutions.
- Evaluates vendor solutions to ensure compliance with requirements.
- Documents new or modified infrastructure solutions, modules, test activities/results and other areas such as error handling.
- Ensures all documentation is delivered according to specified guidelines.
- Proofreads documents for accuracy.
- Provides coaching to team members.
Experience and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelors degree or technical institute degree/certificate in a relevant field or equivalent work experience.
- Requires 3-5 years of RedHat, SUSE, systems experience. Advanced Understanding of the RedHat and SUSE Enterprise Linux operating systems.
- Minimum of 3-5 years supporting Linux in an environment with over 2000+ Linux servers
- Relevant certification is an advantage.
- Experience working within an enterprise ticketing system - incidents, requests, change control, preferably Service-Now
- Good understanding of Networking concepts.
- Understanding of DNS concepts and InfoBlox
- Understanding of Active Directory concepts
- They must be able to add and remove resources in VMware
- VMware console access experience
- Patch management experience
- Virtual server build experience using templates
- Understand the concepts of Puppet
- Strong BASH scripting skills
- Understanding of SAN concepts
- Understanding of ITIL concepts
- Understanding of Linux Security concepts
- Understanding of Linux Performance tuning concepts
- Excellent communication Skills
- Advanced diagnostic and troubleshooting skills to determine not only what the issue is but the source of the issue and the solution.
- Able to resolve complex issues related to the OS
- Expert understanding of Logical Volume management
- Advanced understanding of the Linux boot process
- Advanced understanding of the Linux Kernel
Must have advanced knowledge of 2 or more of the following technologies:
- Enterprise Puppet
- SUSE Manager
- RedHat Satellite server
- Experience with general IT concepts beyond their primary discipline
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Good interpersonal skills; effective team player
- Good analytical skills with attention to detail
- Good presentation skills
- Ability to prioritize work load
- Understanding of ITSM
- RedHat (RHCSA) or SuSE (SCA) Certified Engineer preferred