This individual will support Energy Management System (EMS) projects, develop AGC applications, and provide operational support. They will work in a team environment to deliver technology solutions and support the needs of power generation and supporting service organizations. This individual will have operational responsibilities as well as project deliverables.
- Develop new and enhanced system functionality including custom code and packaged application configuration.
- Ensure the successful transition from development to operations including operations procedures and tools such as EMS database points, reports, and automated monitoring.
- Lead the development of prototypes/proofs of concept to validate key business requirements.
- Plan, develop, implement, and manage user acceptance and deployment of system changes.
- Engage with hardware and software vendors as well as professional service providers to solve problems and deliver solutions.
- Develop and execute implementation plans including installation of new hardware and software, user training, and post-implementation system monitoring.
- Facilitate requirements gathering efforts and clearly document system requirements.
- Facilitate the evaluation of available alternatives and the decision-making process. May include software selection efforts, architectural design reviews, etc.
- Documentation and execution of comprehensive unit, integration, and system test scripts. Facilitate capturing issues identified in testing and ensure their resolution prior to implementation.
- Collaborate with team members and operational groups to identify and prioritize/reprioritize work when necessary.
- Develop strong working relationships with individuals at all levels of company, operations, and IT applications and infrastructure teams.
- Sets clear objectives and measures. Communicates objectives and progress toward objectives.
- Work with leadership to identify opportunities to improve and enhance systems in support of strategic business objectives.
- Anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; have broad knowledge and perspective; can link organizational strategy to corporate and client strategies; act as a thought leader with clients in developing business strategies; think out-of-the box; challenge the status quo by asking what if.
- Willingness to work hours as necessary, especially during critical issue resolution and milestone time periods.
Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university desired. (Computer Science, MIS, or Engineering preferred).
- Advanced technical degree or MBA considered a plus.
- Minimum of five years experience in EMS software development, AGC coding and associated technical support
- Relevant technical experience with at least some of the following technologies:
- EMS DNP3, Modbus, ICCP and OPC protocols
- Automatic Generation Control (AGC) experience.
- Ranger/NMRx/NM EMS Database development and operations experience
- Applications development
- OSI PI data integration
- Plant Control Systems / Technologies
- Familiar with EMS/GMS architecture, software and displays
- Familiarity with Tibco messaging platform
- Linux, HPUX, Unix experience and ability to script as needed
- Knowledge of Software Configuration Management discipline and systems change management processes
- Experience successfully delivering project activities as part of a team, as a technical resource and/or technical lead
- Knowledgeable and able to adhere to NERC CIP regulations
- Experience with Wholesale Generation business desired
- Ability to resolve production system issues, pull in required resources collaboratively across teams, and manage the issue to completion
- Ability to work independently in a team setting to support, develop and maintain applications
- Effectively communicates with team members, clients, and sponsors. Able to establish credibility by appealing to reason and using research, data, facts and figures; able to build support for ideas; win concessions or resolve problems without damaging relationships
- Ability to manage multiple efforts simultaneously.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem resolution skills.
- Strong written, verbal communications skills.
- Ability to thrive in a challenging, fast-paced environment
- Detail oriented, self-starter with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to lead technical design, installation, and development efforts
- Ability to create functional specific documentation to drive system changes
- Must be willing to travel as needed
- Hybrid position with open office atmosphere
- Must be willing to be in a team on-call rotation for business support