Title: Business Systems Analyst (Visual Designer)
Location: San Francisco, CA
Summary of Work
Our client seeks the services of one 0.8 part-time Business Systems Analyst with graphic/visual, digital service design, and some government/civic tech experience. This consultant will work with a cross-Divisional team of subject-matter experts, web developers, stakeholders, and third-party vendors to design and build the work for sixteen trial court sites throughout California. This is a NEW consultant request.
This Business Systems Analyst, under direction of our client’s management and staff, will provide needed visual design expertise in digital service initiatives, focused on user experience, data analytics, and web content management, aimed at improving the depth and breadth of services targeting California court users.
Minimum Job-Specific Skills/Qualifications Required (in order of relative importance):
- Significant course work in visual, UI/UX, and web and graphic design, illustrations a plus.
- Portfolio of work to demonstrate visual content for various media; primarily web properties.
- Proven track record scoping and delivering designs ranging from early concepts and sketches, to prototyping, to high-fidelity, polished designs for final implementation
- Proven track record delivering on-time, on-budget projects with a high degree of user satisfaction and quality.
- Proven track record collaborating with teams, content creators, and developers with ability to effectively communicate written and verbally to both technical and non-technical team members.
- Proven track record working on digital services properties, some government agency experience preferred.
- Exceptional visual messaging and communication skills
- Exceptional analytical skills with the ability to translate ideas and content into visual representations
- Experienced working with written content (text copy) and understanding its impact on visual design.
- Experienced working within design system guidelines to create web elements, components, layouts and templates that reinforce a brand's style or voice through its visual touchpoints.
- Experienced contributing to design systems and providing style guide recommendations to stakeholders
- Experienced designing graphic UI/UX elements with strong understanding of identity design and branding, such as logos, icons, and infographics.
- Experienced with content management systems, Drupal 8 preferred
- Experienced using Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Dreamweaver
- Experienced with prototyping tools, Figma preferred
- Experienced with accessibility requirements to produce designs that meet ADA compliance measures
- Experienced with user-centered design, with expertise in creating and evaluating design solutions that meet user needs.
- Excellent understanding of UX/UI Design, web analysis, and user research to create visual designs that meet user needs
- Ability to communicate effectively in English with excellent written and verbal communication skills for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Extensive visual editorial experience, including working within and creating new in-house styles that raise visual standards.
- Ability to manage multiple projects while effectively managing timelines and expectations.
- Ability to assess and evaluate situations and identify creative problem-solving solutions
- Proficiency with MS Office/Office 365 applications including Word, Excel, Project, Outlook, and Sharepoint.
- Familiar with pattern lab and component libraries.
- Familiar with web technologies and front-end development
- Familiar with agile project management methodologies.
- Ability to work with cross functional teams, in fast-paced, agile, collaborative environment
- Confidence explaining decisions, analyses and recommendations to team member sand stakeholders of varying levels of seniority and digital content knowledge.
- Great inter-personal skills, flexible can-do attitude, and drive for continuous improvement.
Additional Skills/Qualifications Desired:
- Equivalent to possession of a bachelor’s degree
- Recent experience within government agencies or public bodies with projects of a similar type.
- Experience in user research and user experience.
- Understanding of information architecture, taxonomy, usability, and accessibility.
- Experience with HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, and other coding languages
- Experience creating and editing illustrations
Description of Tasks and Responsibilities
- Develop and work on the visual design vision of trial court and other company web property features and functionality in collaboration with business stakeholders throughout the court system.
- Work with a team of UX designers, business analysts, developers, and subject matter experts to design, develop, and deliver enhanced user-centric digital services and experiences for users.
- Collaborate with internal teams to establish the look and feel and define user interface requirements.
- Work with UX development staff, stakeholders, and vendors to assure creative vision is executed properly.
- Work within design system guidelines to create web layouts and templates that reinforce a brand's style or voice through its visual touchpoints.
- Help refine our brand guidelines and web style guide and design systems.
- Design graphic UI/UX elements, such as logos, icons, and infographics, prototypes, or templates using creative software such as Figma and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Develop and propose design prototypes for user testing and collaborate with team members to produce updated designs.
- Design interfaces and concepts using a component library for desktop and mobile experiences.
- Create high-fidelity early concepts as well as working with developers to drive polished designs to final implementation.
- Work with clients, team members, and management to understand business requirements and ensure that client expectations are understood and met.
- Present mockups and drafts to internal team and key stakeholders for approval.
- Scope work for projects and collaborate with team, content designers, developers, and stakeholders.
- Combine various layouts, colors, shapes, and typography fonts to improve user experience.
- Participate in user research and data to make informed design decisions.
- Coordinate efforts with contracted project vendors, trial court personnel, justice partners, and management regarding deployment strategies, identified issues, and possible resolutions.
- Assess the current state of our client’s visual design maturity, and work to set visual standard for the branch ecosystem.
- Assist on the socialization of a design system and design strategy for our client’s digital ecosystem.
- Document and apply recommended visual design approaches for the organizations varied web properties
- Ensures visual designs comply with organization’s brand standards, web style guide, and compliance.
- Deliver high quality, user-centered visual content for the web in support of the web services’ projects
- Identify and evaluate alternative design solutions such as evaluating different web prototypes, as needed; analyze the pros and cons of each solution
- Promote visual design standards in workshops, office hours, brown bags, and web-related events, to help socialize the design system to external audiences and stakeholders, as needed.
- Reviews analytics to understand user behavior to manage and shape visual design strategies.
- Communicate project activities, performance and status
- Provide monthly status reports.
- Complete other tasks, as assigned.