TITLE: Vice President, Enterprise Data Services
DATE: August 2021
The Vice President, Enterprise Data Services will manage and further innovating the enterprise data application architecture at the Company. This person will be responsible for the oversight and development of the front end, back end and reporting layers. The Vice President, Enterprise Data Services will work closely with product managers, data scientists, engineers, researchers, and data quality analysts to understand data needs, enable accessibility to the data, and set standards to improve the organization and the scaling of our data applications overall.
As a member of the Company Senior Leadership Team, you should enjoy getting your hands dirty problem solving, mentoring management and technical staff, and fostering innovative thinking. You will help to drive the right technology choices (e. g. languages, libraries, frameworks), define how we work as a team, and help to prioritize the products and services we build.
Specifically, we are looking for an individual who has a background in data application development in a business intelligence, analytics, or research environment. A strong background working with various databases and systems is needed. Experience with AWS operations management is a strong plus. Experience working in the Financial Services industry also a strong plus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Technology leaders at Company think strategically, innovate, and drive for results. They build high performing teams, have a customer focus and are innovative. With technical and leadership expertise, you will manage multiple data teams, build and oversee a budget, and direct the development of Products and Platforms across multiple Company business units.
As a successful Vice President, Enterprise Data Services, you will
- Collaborate with peers in Technology, Business Development, Product Management, Finance, and Operations to prioritize, plan and release products within Company’s enterprise data services suite and across all Company business units.
- Define vision, drive team execution, and oversee the architecture and engineering process.
- This will require strong leadership capabilities, and the ability to ensure alignment across the organization.
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members. Help develop their careers, ensure they progress their skill levels, understand their work styles and apply that understanding toward helping them set and reach professional goals.
- Identify structural and process improvement opportunities, overseeing the development and implementation of best practices for modern development principles and methodologies.
- Innovate with and expand the organization's insight, intelligence and analytics products, emerging approaches, skills and technologies.
- Research and develop new data solutions and tools sets.
- Be responsible for empowering and enabling a large team to build innovative product and platform assets.
- Create an engineering culture of collaboration, fun and innovation where teams feel empowered to learn, test and iterate.
- Hire and develop a diverse, high performance team. Mentor, grow and develop engineering talent, be a talent magnet to attract, nurture and retain senior talent.
- Drive for Operational and Engineering Excellence with a focus on continually improving in technical areas (e.g. establish best practices, automation, performance engineering, CI/CD, Information Security etc.). Foster an engineering culture within the team and across the organization and enable the team to deliver and use operating mechanisms to continually assess progress and improve.
- Have a strong bias for action including the ability to juggle multiple priorities and effectively deliver in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Extremely results oriented and will help bring out the best ideas from the engineers by empowering them and leading by example.
- Your team will create and bring customer driven data products to Company that simplify and solve for current customer needs while building for the future with a platform mindset.
- As a thought leader, be able to operate in a highly collaborative environment with multiple stakeholders globally.
- Establish alignment of vision, strategy & delivery working with cross-functional teams (Product Management, PD, QA, PMO, Marketing, Finance, Support etc.) and stakeholders including senior leaders across geographies.
- Define a durable and scalable technology strategy for scaling the platforms for Company data. Foster a strong and inclusive engineering culture that develops the technical capabilities of the team. Organize and manage the technology-related functions in support of Product releases and deadlines.
- Participate in continual process improvement planning, architectural processes and data engineering.
- Embrace new ideas that produce outstanding results for our customers.
- Have a Customer Obsession and be a strong advocate and champion to build delightful experiences.
- Stay close to customer problems and solve for it with urgency.
- Participate in budgetary process and co-manage the team and capital budgets for the projects
- Skillful at crafting the SOW’s and partnering/managing the Vendors to the SOW terms
- Manage the support of production application operations and managing to the SLA’s for the incidents.
- To perform the job successfully, the individual must be able to execute each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 15+ years’ experience as an established technical leader of data focused teams that have successfully delivered customer-driven software products with a platform mindset.
- Passion for being at the leading edge of technology with a minimum of 10+ years of hands-on data architecture and engineering experience.
- Passion for creating great products, delivering results and developing leaders and engineers.
- Demonstrated experience leading positive change, empowering people, cultivating product technology visions and innovative solutions, and fostering effective engineering teams.
- Strong collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to work with a wide variety of stakeholders and driving for alignment on technology direction.
- Demonstrated experience in working with multiple functional as well as business stakeholders, leading a team with cross functional collaboration and globally distributed delivery teams.
- Skilled at articulating the product vision and driving the future roadmap with strong business acumen. Ability to think and act strategically for all stakeholders
- Possesses strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong technical skills with the ability to contribute and review architectures, design and code.
- Experience with Agile development and methodologies and SaaS technologies.
- Experience working with AWS or other cloud computing solutions - Dynamo DB, Aurora, etc.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Data Science or equivalent work-related experience
- Knowledge of enterprise data applications (i. e. big data, data warehousing, data science, and analytics solutions)
- Engineering and Technology - Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques and procedures to the design and production of data application solutions.
- Data platforms experience (Snowflake, AWS Aurora, MS SQL Server, Python, PySpark)
- Design - Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Written Comprehension - The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Expression - The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Problem Sensitivity - The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORK EFFORT:
- Typing, sitting, standing, walking, lifting, reaching.
- Constant mental, visual and auditory attention.
- The flow of work requires focused, detailed attention and keying at a computer monitor.
- The job is typically performed under comfortable working conditions; any disagreeable elements are generally absent during normal performance of the job.
- Compliance with company attendance standards.
- This job role participates in an active production support rotation, so on-call responsibilities would be one week in every three.