Position: UX Design Director
Location: Charlotte, NC; San Francisco, CA
Direct Hire FTE Role
- Leading the design of end-to-end experiences, in partnership with cross-functional peers, in one of the following areas: online and mobile banking, payments, financial education, and onboarding
- Oversight of user-centered processes and methods, both internal to design and cross-functionally, to ensure that work is delivered at an established level of quality.
- Working with design leads to establish coherence across their efforts, reviewing the work of their teams to ensure it is up to quality standards.
- Oversee and take part in the creation of strategic design deliverables, including: research insights, strategy decks, customer journeys, visions of future experiences.
- Providing mentorship and other guidance to design managers to get the most out of their teams, and designers to deliver their best work.
- Partnering closely with leadership across product development, to drive alignment on customer and business goals, developing programs of work to achieve those goals, and focusing efforts of the teams on what really matters.
- Working with design leads to prepare and plan for oncoming work and establishing achievable estimates.
- Working with product development leadership peers to identify the ‘big rocks’ to tackle.
- Attract top talent through prior work and industry activity; active in recruiting, hiring, and retaining members in their organization.
- Support the professional development of team members through mentorship, coaching, and connecting them with resources.
- Lead your team with integrity and create an environment where your employees feel included, valued, and supported to do work that energizes them.
- Accomplish management responsibilities which include sourcing and hiring talented employees, providing ongoing coaching and feedback, recognizing and developing employees, identifying and managing risks, and completing daily management tasks.
- Financial services industry experience
- Knowledge and understanding of project management principles: managing projects from beginning to end; that vary in scope and complexity
- Leadership experience
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Outstanding problem solving and decision making skills
- Strong presentation skills
- 12+ years’ experience producing mobile and web products that lead to measurable business / customer impact
- 2+ years’ experience working in an agile environment, with distributed teams and agile delivery tools (e.g., JIRA, Confluence)
- 6 years leadership and/or team management
- Of the following skills, demonstrated mastery/expertise in 1, and strength in 2 more: : Information Architecture, Interaction Design, Visual Design, Content Strategy, and User Research
- Experience leading end-to-end experiences across multiple teams through a full product strategy and development `cycle (discovery, concepts, prototypes, specs)
- Consistently articulate a strong strategic rationale; storytelling skills that compel stakeholders; present credible and inspiring strategic direction grounded in business and design thinking; comfort presenting to all levels of seniority
- Experience working in a complex, regulated environment and managing through legal/compliance issues
- Experience leading with user-centered design approaches, principles, and methodology
- Experience recruiting, hiring, and retaining talented teams
- Experience managing creative design efforts in a complex environment
- Expertise with common design tools (e.g., InVision, Sketch, Photoshop)