Position: Test Engineer
Term: 1 Month
Individuals within the Test Lead Engineer role are responsible for verifying and validating whether solutions meet specified requirements. They are involved in all phases of the solutions development lifecycle. They implement quality assurance objectives and processes, monitor and evaluate testing results against the predetermined objectives, and apply recommended actions for improvements. Quality control activities may include performance and solution testing. Individuals also evaluate and recommend test automation tools and determine the suitability of these tools with various development tools. Senior level professionals within this role are responsible for providing technical team leadership. They work closely with IT leaders to develop and implement a quality maturity roadmap and plan testing for each functional area (performance, solution, and automation).
Test Lead Engineers are responsible to evaluate and determine if the created dashboards, reports and any other visualization meet specified requirements.
Test Lead Engineers are also responsible to evaluate the data linkage, performance and metrics created in the visualizations.
Test Lead Engineers are responsible for defining the test environment used by the organization. They interact with all members of the project team including architects, business analysts, system analysts and project managers. They also work with the development team and/or vendors to successfully integrate testing into each development phase. Other responsibilities include performing the design, development, execution and reporting efforts for projects using a single software testing technology competency (i.e., functional, systems, automation, performance, security, validation, etc.) within one or more software development frameworks. They define and track quality assurance metrics such as defects, defect counts, test results and test status. These professionals communicate testing results and provide recommendations based on issues discovered. They also monitor, evaluate and make recommendations on testing tasks within enterprise-wide processes such as change and release management.
Members of this role need to have an understanding of programming languages (python, SQL, etc.), solution development life cycles, testing tools, test automation, and a strong knowledge of quality management. They must be able to understand business requirements, technical specifications and change management documentation in order to develop test plans.
Individuals in this role will work on multiple programs/systems as a technical team member on projects of moderate to high complexity within one or more development environments or enterprise-wide systems.
- Works closely with IT teams to support testing strategies and activities.
- Assists in preparing and submitting testing estimates and project schedules.
- Reviews information with team as needed.
- Works with the Analysts to interpret testing needs as requirements are being developed.
- Evaluates testability of business and technical requirements based on business/functional requirement document(s), use cases, user stories and/or solution design documents.
- Participates in requirement/design reviews or sprint/release planning sessions; identifies gaps and probes for detailed explanation of expectations.
- Participates in architecture and technical specification review and provides feedback on content and testability.
- Contributes/creates to requirements traceability matrix.
- Creates test plans and test strategy documents.
- Translates business and technical requirements into test cases, test scenarios and scripts.
- Develops and/or implements reusable components.
- Codes and documents custom test automation frameworks.
- Assists with the identification, creation, and maintenance of test data.
- Develops interface stubs and simulators, as needed.
- Maintains new and existing object reference files.
- Performs script maintenance and updates due to changes in requirements or implementations.
- Assists with setup and maintenance of test environments for both manual and automated testing.
- Provides assistance to internal and external auditors in compliance reviews.
- Executes test scripts/cases and monitors testing results.
- Monitors environments establishing thresholds and alerts.
- Assigns severity levels to each test defect discovered during the test cycle.
- Identifies technical and operational problems on installed networks, systems, solutions and products.
- Documents issues in a defect/issue tracking system with appropriate root cause analysis and escalates issues to appropriate issue owners.
- Provides root cause analysis around defects to communicate in review meetings to determine remediation status.
- Updates and/or re-executes scripts against software corrections to ensure problems are resolved.
- Informs project stakeholders of execution completion and status results.
- Works with the delivery organization to identify and resolve process problems when desired service outcomes are not being met.
- Supports technical issues and upgrades as needed by various internal departments.
- Identifies and recommends automation/performance process efficiencies.
- Produces SDLC-compliant documentation during project release(s).
- May evaluate business efficiencies and risks to make recommendations on application of testing standards.
- May evaluate and make recommendations on testing tasks in enterprise-wide processes, such as change and release management.
- Monitors and analyzes testing process and creates metrics/reports for continuous improvement
- Provides coaching and guidance to team members.
- Evaluates hardware/ software and/or licensing requirements based on system testing diagnostics.
- Participates in individual or group product feasibility studies to evaluate solvency of product(s), defines acceptance criteria, reports findings and participates in implementation decisions.
- Reports testing results to project team.
- Participates in lessons learned sessions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Strong SQL skills and ability to apply them within a ‘Big Data” environment
- Experience working with Data warehouses and reporting techniques
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related field or equivalent work experience.
- Typically requires a minimum of 3-6 years of solution testing and/or business experience.
- Typically requires a minimum of 3 years of quality assurance experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Software Testing frameworks.
- Knowledge of the Solution Development Methodology.
- Experience working and testing visualization tools.
- Experience with different types of industry supported testing tools.
- Understanding of databases and solutions including the ability to programmatically interact with data formats.
- Thorough understanding of script execution and reporting.
- Ability to use manual and automated testing tools to support and assist the company testing efforts
- Demonstrated experience documenting and executing testing policies and standards
- Demonstrated experience working on ETL or BI projects.
- Strong knowledge of relevant technology, tools and software; SDLC, Desktop services, TFS, Azure DevOps, HP Test tools, or equivalent testing tools.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and conceptual skills
- Excellent organizational skills; attention to detail
- Ability to work as individual contributor and as a team member
- Ability to resolve project issues effectively and efficiently
- Ability to prioritize work load and consistently meet deadlines