Position: Technical Support Engineer
Location: Lexington/Winston-Salem, NC
Duration- Contact to Perm
Our client, a national leader in the technology solutions for communications providers and utilities is seeking a Technical Support Engineer whose primary responsibility is to provide after-hours frontline Tier 1 and Tier 2 break/fix support for TAC customers. The work hours are 5:00 PM EST to 2:00 AM EST. Your understanding of carrier networks and expertise with network configuration and diagnostic best practices enables you to facilitate a resolution to most issues within the initial call. You are a customer advocate and help escalate advanced issues to our OEM partners and in-house solution engineering experts. You are devoted to customer success, and to providing first-rate experiences for Walker's valued customers.
This is a unique opportunity for technically proficient individual to develop your technical skills and our client’s investment in your ongoing training and IP networking certifications, to create a career path of additional responsibility and income.
- Responsible for answering inbound phone calls and providing timely response on technical cases initiated by client TAC customers.
- Supports customers with collecting logs and information to facilitate prompt diagnosis and resolution of equipment, software, and network configuration issues.
- Utilizes knowledge of carrier network architecture, protocols, and configuration best practices to diagnose issues and communicate case details to internal and external escalation contacts.
- Effectively documents, organizes, and communicates all case information and diagnostic details.
- Follows equipment manufacturer procedures and best practices for data collection, troubleshooting, and ticketing escalation.
- Facilitates processing of equipment RMAs, and coordination of tech dispatches to replace faulty equipment components.
- Prepares root cause analysis reports, ticket reporting, and customer success strategies’ for presentation to customer and Walker stakeholders.
- Assists professional services team with development of high-level and low-level design documents, and other implementation related activities.
- Technical training or 1-3 years of experience supporting carrier networks.
- Demonstrates a foundational understanding of carrier networks and standard carrier network equipment components.
- Effectively communicates networking concepts and terminology.
- Exhibits knowledge of routing and switching related protocols and technologies: TCP/IP, BGP, OSPF, ISIS, MPLS (L2 & L3 VPN), RSVP, LDP, VLAN/Trunking, NAT, DHCP, DNS, NTP, ARP, MAC, SIP, QOS/COS.
- Experienced with Junos IOS and/or Cisco IOS.
- Knowledge of Tier 1 troubleshooting steps, including practice of signing into carrier network routers and switches to capture interface information and logs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; phone, email, and documentation, are an integral component of job.
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism at all times and to aid in customer de-escalation/escalation prevention.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to quality as well as a commitment to the company’s goals and values.
- Coordinate tasks for efficiency, timeliness and accuracy of completion.
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to work with little supervision.
- Action-minded, action-oriented in solving problems.
2 Year Associates Degree in Computer Science Preferred
Linux, Putty, Wireshark, Visio, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, PeopleSoft familiarity