Title: Technical Analyst (Cloud Engineer)
Location: Sacramento, CA or San Francisco, CA
Summary of Work
Two technical analysts (Cloud Engineers) will provide technical cloud engineering subject matter expertise for multiple technology projects in support of our client’s hosted cloud applications. Responsibilities include designing the cloud infrastructure, designing the cloud application architecture, and designing the cloud security architecture and ensuring project compliance with IT security policies, best practices and branch standards. These positions will work with our client’s staff, IT staff and management, and cloud technology vendors to plan, design, build, implement, and support new and existing cloud hosting services.
Minimum Job-Specific Skills/Qualifications Required (in order of relative importance):
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology or relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years technical experience designing, executing and supporting IT cloud solutions
- Excellent knowledge of cloud computing technologies and current computing trends.
- Experience in various infrastructure migrations techniques including bulk application transfers into the cloud.
- Experience in the identification and recommendation of top cloud architecture solutions to successfully meet the strategic needs of an organization.
- Microsoft certification and/or Linux/Unix certification
- Experience working on multiple simultaneous IT projects throughout the entire life cycle from design to deployment.
- Experience managing technical projects, including conflict resolution, issue escalations, status reporting and resource management.
- Knowledgeable of enterprise network infrastructure design concepts such as
- Client / server system architecture
- System security policies and procedures
- Data center technology infrastructure
- Multi-vendor platform integration
- PKI administration
- Infrastructure capacity planning
- Networking concepts: routing, switching, security, remote access, proxy
- Cloud migration
- Ability to convert business requirements into a technical design and implementation plan.
- Ability to analyze issues from system documentation and recommend solutions.
- High level of technical writing experience.
- Excellent oral, written, analytical and communication skills with the ability to lead a technical discussion to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Excellent presentation skills for both technical and non-technical audiences, including creating and presenting executive summaries to management and technical committees.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and conflict resolution skills.
Additional Skills/Qualifications Desired:
- Professional certification with one of the Cloud Service Providers (CSP) to include but not limited to AWS, Azure or Google Cloud.
- Subject matter expertise of at least one operating system: Linux, Unix, Solaris, Ubuntu, Windows. Linux operating system (e.g., Ubuntu or Red Hat). Prior experience as an administrator or architect in any of the well-known operating systems.
- Expert level understanding of networking: TCP/IP, IP addresses, HTTP, DNS.
- At least a minimum of five (5) years experience with a programming or scripting language.
- High level understanding of key security concepts in firewalls, network security, server security, and security tools such as Crowd Strike and Fortinet.
- Prior technical cloud engineering experience working with local, state or federal government entities
- Cloud Architect Certification with Cloud Service Provider (CSP)
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- ITIL4 certification
Description of Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide subject matter expertise on cloud infrastructure design, design architecture and security architecture for new and existing hosted cloud applications
- Develop cloud strategy and coordinate the adaptation process
- Access current company infrastructure, applications, software and hardware for cloud adaptation for a Software Defined Data Center (SDDC)
- Develop and design cloud business solutions for JC business users and applications
- Implement authentication solutions with any Cloud Service Provider (CSP) to include but not limited to Azure, AWS, and Google Cloud
- Develop, update, and maintain security practices for hardening of cloud environment
- Establish and document best practices for cloud across the JC
- Assist in the evaluation of cloud services, cloud vendor providers, and third-party services. Provide written analysis of evaluation, including but not limited to benefits, costs, and technology comparisons.
- Design and develop automation for virtual machine migration and provisioning
- Develop, update, and maintain governance strategies for risk mitigation
- Collaboratively work with IT Security Unit to monitor privacy and develop incident response procedures for cloud applications
- Assist with the assessment of cloud services, equipment, software and related provisioning and procurement, budgets, cost estimates, and billing administration for cloud services.
- Attend various meetings and provide guidance and recommendations on cost effective and efficient cloud solutions
- Provide knowledge transfer and walkthrough of cloud documentation to JC staff
- Weekly and monthly status reports