Position: Systems and Database Administrator
Location: Lexington, NC
Duration: Perm Opening
Job Summary: Our client, a national leader in the supply, staging and integration of telecommunications solutions to service providers and utilities is seeking a Systems and Database Administrator primary focus will be on system and database administration split with end user and client support duties including but not limited to hardware and software support, IT asset management, systems administration and IT infrastructure project tasks as assigned by incumbent IT staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Linux Systems Engineering and Oracle Administration
- Engineering of SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure systems using Oracle and/or Linux servers and supporting architecture.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups. Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up and stored off site.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Create, alter and drop oracle tables, views, and indexes as needed.
- Manage oracle tablespaces.
- Create and or modify bash scripts.
- Provide escalated support assistance per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures and related technical documentation.
- Perform periodic performance evaluations to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Performing daily monitoring and health checks of the system infrastructure to insure connectivity.
- Controlling access permissions and privileges.
- Facilitating hardware and software upgrades.
- Maintaining and documenting all system configurations.
- Researching issues and provide input on possible solution.
Required Experience and Skills
- Minimum 7 years Linux and Oracle system/database administration preferred
- 1-2 years of experience with enterprise level virtualization technologies (Citrix preferred)
- 1-2 years of experience supporting iOS, Android and Windows mobile devices
- Experience with Tableau a plus
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- IT professional with strong service orientation
- Accredited college degree with a technical major, such as computer science or equivalent IT professional experience preferred.