Position: Strategic Planning and Analyst
Term: 4 Months (05/17/2021 to 09/17/2021)
- Evaluate and ensure that category and business unit plans will deliver the budgeted and forecasted growth for the Front Store. Proactively understand growth levers, sales and margin trends, and the external marketplace to identify risks and opportunities. Structure and perform analyses, and develop reports, visualizations/ presentations that clearly demonstrate the drivers of business performance and future business outlook on a regular basis. Directly partner with VPs and DMMs to align monthly and quarterly financial expectations with business plans.
- Partner directly with the Chief Merchant in a daily capacity to provide her/him with a deep understanding of how all financial levers are impact on the business. Develop expertise in understanding how business and operational results impact the merchandising P&L. Leverage intellectual curiosity and problem solving ability to uncover causal relationships and develop action plans for the future. Ensure the Chief Merchant is prepared to discuss Front Store performance with retail and corporate executive leadership on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Lead and/or facilitate business case development and/or financial impact analysis in support of the annual budgeting process, quarterly forecasting process, front store growth initiative development, and/or special projects. Accumulate estimates across areas of the business to assess and validate business plans and opportunity sizing (sales, margin, expense, ebit) to prepare for financial forecasting.
Is this a good fit? (Requirements):
- 4+ years of management consulting experience with a leading management consulting firm, with a strong consumer focus, preferably in retail or consumer packaged goods. Alternatively, 2+ years of financial managerial experience and a CPA or MBA. Ideal candidates will have worked at leading retailer, or CPG company and had direct P&L analysis/management experience, merchandising analytics or financial planning/analysis experience and demonstrated track record of identifying and driving business opportunities and significant senior leadership exposure
- Leadership and influencing skills: Highly developed oral communication skills; along with collaboration and relationship-building skills to foster effective working relationships and communications with senior leaders across the Retail Merchandising team and other functional areas (e.g., Marketing, Finance, Supply Chain)
- Structured and logical thinking: the ability to understand the business question and then quickly develop hypotheses and organize and approach that will break the problem down into the appropriate analyses to facilitate the development of insights and recommendations.
- Analytical rigor: Very strong analytical and modeling capabilities; should be fluent in Excel modeling and have preferably have a working knowledge of BI/Database (e.g., Oracle, Microstrategy, Tableau) and statistical modeling tools (e.g., SAS)
- Powerful communications: the ability to design a presentation for the right audience, whether working teams or executive leadership, that communicates effectively and succinctly. Presentations must clearly tell the story with the appropriate proof points, converting data and analytics into a compelling, persuasive document that demonstrates business results, key drivers, and plans for the future. Mastery of Microsoft PowerPoint is critical to this role
- Retail Experience: A history of work and passion for the retail/consumer industry
- Basic fluency with advanced analytical/ "big data" tools (e.g., SQL, Teradata, SAS/statistical modeling, Tableau) will be helpful
- MBA or Masters Degree (Engineering, Economics, Math) or CPA