Title: Sr Systems Engineer
Type: Contract-to-Hire, FTE
Location: Charlotte, NC
Our client, a sustainability-focused iron maker, is seeking a Sr Systems Engineer. The Senior Systems Engineer will provide systems engineering and network administration services in support of the client's day-to-day operations and projects. This role will support a variety of duties including, but not limited to: network architecture/infrastructure, system administration/maintenance, software and systems deployment, IT process improvement, supporting IT incidents, optimizing system performance, and meeting business continuity and disaster recovery requirements for assigned systems.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Contributes to enterprise design and implementation for cloud and on-premise infrastructure across following domains: network, security, data, containers, compute, operating systems, storage, application enablement, and migration.
- Provides hands-on support for any system issues/problems by working with other IT Department members, consultants, vendors, or other deemed necessary to address an assigned incident or problem.
- Creates additional automation by scripting repetitive tasks.
- Manages and supports Active Directory (Directory Services, DFS, DNS, GPO)
- Works with and manages vendors, service providers, or consultants to help maintain systems and services, resolve support incidents, and complete projects.
- Adheres to all IT policies, procedures, standards and guidelines.
- Assists in the development and implementation of IT security policies, procedures, processes and protocols.
- Configures and maintains reliable operation of computer systems, network servers, and virtualization.
- Installs and upgrades computer components and software, manage virtual servers, and integrate automation processes.
- Troubleshoots hardware and software errors by running diagnostics, documenting problems and resolutions, prioritizing problems, and assessing impact of issues.
- Provides documentation and technical specifications to IT staff for planning and implementing new or upgrades of IT infrastructure.
- Responsible for capacity, storage planning, and database performance.
- Work to resolve issues, install equipment, or move existing equipment to best suit the needs of the local department or management.
- Install new hardware or software and provide training on its use.
- Deploy, support and monitor new and existing services, platforms, and applications.
- Assist employees in learning to use company owned software and hardware systems.
- Participate in periodic on-call duties.
- Participate in or conduct lessons learned sessions with department members during and after each project, and share this knowledge with the full department.
- Conduct best practices review within the department and use to continually improve the work processes.
- Work as a “team player” with all company departments and employees in all assignments.
- Work toward building consensus on all assignments by finding solutions that meet the best interests of all parties involved.
- Growth mindset and desire for continuous learning.
- Ability to manage stress and workload in a fast-paced IT environment.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment – Should be able to multi-task with proven follow-through and adherence to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to organize multiple work assignments and meet budget and time requirements.
- An articulate self-starter with the initiative to quickly learn new systems and technologies.
- Good written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to provide efficient and courteous service by email, phone, and in person.
- Ability to communicate with and work with co-workers and managers of all levels.
- Action orientated – Should be able to follow up on feedback to ensure positive outcomes.
- Collaborative team player – Should be able to establish solid working relationships with stakeholders.
- Ability to lead and manage IT Systems Engineering projects.
- Strong technical troubleshooting skills
- Ability to work overtime as needed and respond to calls during off hours.
- Working knowledge of information security principles (e.g. access control, least privilege, zero trust, data protection, security architecture, infrastructure/application security design principles, policies) and privacy (e.g. GDPR)
- Working knowledge of server virtualization technologies
- Understanding of TCP/IP and associated networking programs and protocols (DNS, DHCP, SSL, TLS, SNMP, HTTP, etc.).
- Thorough knowledge of network topologies and their connectivity issues (Ethernet, switches, hubs, patch panels, wifi, etc.).
- Technical knowledge and experience with the following:
- Microsoft 365
- Microsoft Azure
- Microsoft Intune and/or SCCM / MEM (Microsoft End-Point Manager)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012+
- Backup/Disaster Recovery solutions
- In depth experience in any combination of the following technologies is preferred: VMware; Microsoft platforms: Windows Server, Microsoft 365, PowerShell, System Center Configuration Manager, Windows Server Update Services, Intel based servers; HDD and SSD storage; backups; storage related networking; and network technologies such as Ethernet, TCP/IP, fiber optics, and category 5 and 6 wiring.
- Certifications in Networking and Microsoft Azure
- Certifications in Cisco Networking
- Technical knowledge and experience with the following:
- Microsoft Intune/MEM (Microsoft End-Point Manager)and/or SCCM
- Cisco networking equipment (routers, switches, firewalls, etc.)
- SQL Server
Education and Experience:
- Computer Science, MIS, technology degree, or 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of hands-on experience in a technical environment maintaining Microsoft servers in on-prem, hybrid and cloud environments.
- 0% - 10% International and Domestic based project demands
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Ability to move around a project site, including climbing structures.