Primarily responsible for engineering, capacity planning, lifecycle management, and hands-on support of all infrastructure solutions in a 24x7x365 environment. Engages with peer IT teams and the business to propose changes to existing infrastructure and building out new infrastructure. In addition, the ability to support including upgrading, troubleshooting, making changes in a VMWare 6.x, Hyper-V, EMC/Dell Storage, Microsoft Windows Server, Linux, IBM blade chassis/rack-mount hosts, Cisco, Sonicwall, Juniper networking environment, and/or next generation firewalls is essential. Must have advanced, prior “hands-on” experience with most of these technologies or like brands and demonstrated expertise by successful implementation of projects with minimal disruption to the business, users, and customers. Must be able to take an infrastructure lead role on projects which will be related to various aspects of infrastructure. It is critical this individual can communicate solutions and issues around the solutions to his/her peers in the business, infrastructure, application, and database areas. Experience migrating to Microsoft Azure or other cloud platform and doing the hands-on work on both the on-prem and in Azure is large plus.
· Provide technical planning, implementation, design, support expertise across all infrastructure components including but not limited to: Office 365, Windows Server, Linux, VMware vSphere 6.5, Hyper-V, DNS/DHCP Services, Active Directory, WSUS, and network monitoring, logging and event monitoring, anti-virus/malware endpoint software, security services, and server hardening.
· Provides hands-on implementation, monitoring, and support for all components within the Microsoft Azure cloud tenant including operational responsibilities.
· Leverages infrastructure as code to deploy networking stacks and server stacks (Ansible/Terraform/Puppet)
· Maintains current, meticulous documentation, on all infrastructure components that are shared amongst all team members and with peer teams as required.
· Hands-on design, implementation, and support of network infrastructure components including next generation firewalls, switches (Juniper/Cisco), wireless access points (Cisco) leveraging network routing protocols including BGP.
· Hands-on design, implementation, and support shared storage protocols, storage networks, configuration, support, and capacity planning (Fibre Channel, iSCSI, LUN provisioning).
· Hands-on design, implementation, and support of high availability design in all aspects of infrastructure components including Microsoft Windows Server Failover Clustering, load balancing technologies (i.e. F5/Kemp/HA Proxy) and networks.
· This person must be able to understand, communicate, and document to an extremely accurate and detailed level all aspects (physical, logical, virtual, etc.) of a modern IT infrastructure.
· Provides support for voice over IP phones, phones system and other corresponding services.
· Works on project-based initiatives and provides written and oral status updates to business users/stakeholders.
· Develops procedures and performs maintenance activities to monitor disk, processor, network, and application usage and growth statistics; identifies areas requiring follow up; takes corrective action as necessary.
· Develops procedures to keep systems up and running; recovers system from hardware and software failures; provides hardware and operating system support for Applications, Operations, and Helpdesk support teams.
· Conducts detailed systems analysis; recommends solutions to improve performance or solve problems; installs hardware components.
· Maintains and upgrades operating systems to the current supported level; coordinates downtime for maintenance activities and system upgrades with the management to minimize disruption of business operations.
· Actively maintains and improves on patch management strategy for servers, desktops, network equipment, and other misc. appliances.
· Actively participates in selection and installation of new systems, upgrades, and enhancements; educates users on changes; recommends alternate solutions as necessary and orders hardware/software.
· Maintains all documentation related to hardware, system software and common procedures to be carried out by other IT team members, relative to assigned systems.
· Ensure associated service level agreements are met and assist with reporting on SLAs and other key metrics.
· Adheres to all standards, policies and procedures.
· Ability to support escalations from IT Service Desk and act as 3rd tier resource to resolve issues. Never an issue to jump in with a user to find out what exactly might be the problem.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
Other Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication, conceptual, critical thinking, analytical, problem-solving abilities and organizational skills
- Leads by example and exemplifies our Core Values
- Judgment and Decision Making – Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Problem Sensitivity – The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong.
- Complex Problem Solving – Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Social Perceptiveness – Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Service Orientation – Actively looking for ways to help people.
- Oral/Written Comprehension & Expression – The ability to listen to, understand, and communicate information and ideas presented through spoken or written words
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer engineering or computer science or equivalent experience preferred.
- A minimum of five years of experience doing the complete end-to-end planning, designing, implementing, testing, monitoring, and maintaining (upgrades and capacity additions).
- Build infrastructure services via infrastructure-as-code versus one-off/unique servers/services.
- Must have proven track record in the design, documentation, and engineering holistic IT solutions that meet IT Infrastructure’s needs and align with business goals.
- Have engineered solutions by leading infrastructure efforts while working closely with database, application, and development teams.
- Two years of experience in a system or network engineer role with focus on the Microsoft stack.
- Previous experience with BGP routing protocol preferred.
- Previous experience with HA, MSCS and/or Microsoft Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) with SQL Server a plus.
- Current industry certifications from Palo Alto, Cisco or Juniper, Microsoft, and VMWare preferred.
- Experience in a larger IT environment preferred with over 10 VMWare Hosts and 100+ VMs.
- Security experience a plus especially with next generation firewalls and/or cloud-based firewall technologies.
- Hands-on experience managing Hybrid Cloud Infrastructures – VMware/Azure/AWS/GCP – preferred.
- Solid understanding of open source software solutions and cloud-based offerings and services.
- 2-3 years’ experience managing enterprise scale identity and access management solutions such as Active Directory, MIM, Azure AD, AWS IAM, and/or federation with 3rd party IAM for Single Sign on / MFA.
- 5+ years’ experience and understanding of virtualization platforms and technologies both converged and hyper converged including Cisco UCS, Nutanix or similar.
- Experience with modern networking / firewall and storage technologies.
- Experience with managing infrastructure for SQL and No-SQL database platforms such as MS-SQL, My-SQL, mongoDB, or similar.
- Experience managing Office365 and SharePoint environments
- Linux: 3 years (Preferred)
- Windows Server: 5 years (Preferred)
- Information Technology: 5 years (Required)
- VMware: 5 years (Preferred)
- Ability to carry 50lbs.
- Accepts and adapts to changes
- Learns new skills to meet new needs of the business
- Suggests changes and improvements
- Quality Work Output
- Produces quality work
- Follows safety practices and compliance policies
- Uses time wisely and gets things done
- Meets or exceeds deadlines
- Takes responsibility for own actions
- Service Orientation
- Supports the company’s mission, vision and values
- Meets or exceeds customer needs
- Responds to requests in a timely manner
- Takes initiative to meet customers’ needs
- Uses materials, processes and tools efficiently
- Takes initiative to solve problems
- Does the most important work first
- Gets things done while still upholding ethics, integrity, compliance and company values
- Works with others to get things done
- Openly shares feedback and information that helps the team
- Treats others with respect
- Is approachable to others
- Listens so others feel heard
- Develops relationships built on trust
This position has no staff supervisory responsibilities but will have project supervisory responsibilities as technical leader on various projects.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- Consistently move about to coordinate work
- Must be able to physically deal with lifting and moving computer equipment
- Keyboard data entry
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This may require non-standard work hours including some weekends and nights for planned and unplanned work.
Role is based in the Chicagoland area near western suburbs (Oakbrook/Naperville area). Some travel is required to meet with team members and for hands-on project work. Initial travel may be more to get project work done.