Title: Sr. Business Systems Analyst (Data Scientist)
Location: San Francisco, CA
Summary of Work: Our client seeks the services of a full time Senior Business Systems Analyst consultant with a background in data science and statistical analysis. This Senior BSA will establish a data analytics and data visualization program focused on the experience of self-represented litigants, both at the court and online, throughout our client’s system.
Minimum Job-Specific Skills/Qualifications Required (in order of relative importance):
- Experience managing technical projects, including conflict resolution, issue escalations, status reporting and resource management.
- Experience in R and Stata.
- Experience with data visualization and software such as Tableau and Power BI.
- Excellent oral, written, analytical and communication skills with the ability to lead a technical discussion to both technical and non-technical staff.
- Excellent presentation skills for both technical and non-technical audiences, including creating and presenting executive summaries to management and technical committees.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and conflict resolution skills.
- Proven track record leading enterprise wide digital services initiatives, government agency experience preferred.
- Proven track record leading, organizing, and coordinating multiple work activities.
- Proven track record in delivering on-time, on-budget projects with a high degree of user satisfaction and quality.
- Experienced with the principles and techniques of project management including the ability to develop and track complex project plans, manage risks, manage scope and manage resources.
- Experienced with agile project management methodologies.
- Experienced with the principles of full life cycle systems design and development.
- Experienced with the principles and techniques of program design, development, testing, and documentation.
- Experienced at establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Familiarity with web technologies, front-end development, and back-end development.
- Knowledge of digital government and digital government strategies
- Ability to identify and evaluate alternative solutions, costs and benefits.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, orally and in writing.
- Ability to build coalitions among the various stakeholders using excellent conflict resolution skills, where needed.
- Ability to manage complex relationships among stakeholders on a project which has significant executive oversight.
- Excellent analytical capabilities and the ability to breakdown complex ideas into manageable pieces.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with both technical and non-technical audiences, including creating and presenting executive summaries to steering committees and other executive level leadership.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications including Word, Excel, Project, and Visio.
Additional Skills/Qualifications Desired:
- Prepare effective written materials for purposes of user and system documentation.
- Use initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
- Resolve complex technical issues.
- Explain technical issues to senior management in a nontechnical manner.
- Recent experience within government agencies or public bodies with projects of a similar type.
- Experience in user research and data analysis.
- Exposure and experience with Cloud computing.
- Conceptual understanding of Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, IBM and Oracle Cloud Platforms.
- Experience using SQL, Python, or other database query languages.
Description of Tasks and Responsibilities
- Serve as data scientist for multiple initiatives including the Data Analytics pilot program, and the California Courts Digital Services and Self-Help Redesign project.
- Determine data needs for California Courts Digital Services to rigorously evaluate the effectiveness of court self-help projects.
- Seeking out, advocating for, and acquiring data from courts and system partners.
- Analyze Self Help Customer Encounter data set(s) to identify and prioritize case types and service types for the project.
- Merge and clean individual court data sets.
- Work with subject matter experts to extract background, context, and detail necessary to develop data sets, and/or schemas.
- Create a sustainable data analysis plan with project team to support long-term measurement and analysis.
- Assist in creating and iterating content for end-to-end services, based on user needs, on department-owned content, in collaboration with subject matter experts.
- Reviews analytics on an ongoing basis to understand user behavior to manage and shape various strategies, including content, SEO, project prioritization, etc.
- Carry out analysis plan and distribute statistical reports
- Create dashboards and google analytics for trial courts
- Research and gather input on sample data dashboard from court leadership
- Create data dashboards for web posting and dissemination to courts
- Automate process for refreshing data and posting updated dashboards
- Design method for adding survey items to current data collection that will allow customers to agree to follow up survey and provide follow up email address
- In collaboration with project team, design additional survey items on customer experience
- Explore availability of court case management system and linkages with information on self-help services and websites accessed
- Outreach to internal offices and courts to assess availability
- Where feasible, access data, create data analysis plan, in collaboration with project team, carry out analysis plan and distribute statistical reports
- Assess project needs for web analytics and create statistical reports
- Define and clarify project scope
- Assess the state of digital services provided by the California Courts, and work to align strategies and practice; conferring with the web team and senior analysts on the projects.
- Monthly and weekly status reports
- Other tasks, as assigned.