Our Healthcare Insurance client is seeking a Solution Architect to join their team for a contract to hire role!
Our client has more than 5,000 employees and is the number 1 health insurer in the state of North Carolina serving more than 3.89 million customers.
Health care is changing, and our client is leading the way by provide innovative solutions that simplify the health care system, improve efficiency and outcomes, and help rein in costs. Our client is a not-for-profit with headquarters in Durham, NC.
Position: Solution Architect
Location: This position will be work from home until the end of October 2021. Then, they will evaluate when it is safe to return to work at the Durham, NC office again. Alternatively, if you live in one of the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Maryland, Michigan, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia; you may work remotely.
Term: 6 months, contract to hire
- Coordinate the solution architecture for web and mobile portal applications: Design, enhancement, maintenance, communication, and governance.
- This is a hands-on position. Ability to provide technology leadership is a must. Responsible for architecture leadership and must be able to expose and communicate enterprise opportunities across multiple corporate initiatives.
- Responsible for developing and reviewing key architecture deliverables necessary and sufficient for gaining consensus, coordinating delivery teams, and leaving design details for people that come later. This includes preliminary and high-level architecture models for software and infrastructure solutions under development.
- Develop and review architecture artifacts and manage adherence to architecture standards. Perform risk analysis, industry and technical trend analysis, vendor selection and oversight, and assist in defining strategic direction.
- Provide leadership to the broader architecture community and to vendors, communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Be a trusted advisor for the senior leadership levels of the company.
What distinguishes a Solution Architect from a Lead Developer or a Technical Program Manager?
The SA will have breadth across technical + technical + business + PM skills combined with depth in multiple technical hard skills + depth in the architecture skills shown below.
Is this a good fit? (Requirements):
Must-Have Technical Skills:
Practical experience and depth in the following.
2. Database techs such as relational, graph, and NoSQL databases (e.g., PostgreSQL, GraphQL). Modern techs such as MongoDB and Cassandra are helpful.
3. Cloud infrastructure. Strong preference for AWS, including S3 storage and serverless functions.
4. Domain-driven design approach. Strong data layer architecture.
5. Microservices. Other integration techs are very helpful: Streaming, web services, message queues, ETL.
6. Caching techs, logging techs, ..
7. Soft skills: Consulting skills; collaboration (building coalitions, driving consensus).
Strongest candidates will have a history of digital transformation, evaluating new techs, and continuous learning.
Nice-to-Have Tech Skills:
Containerization: Docker and OpenShift are excellent.
Must-Have Architecture & Business Skills:
- Broad and deep communication skills (oral & written).
- Business acumen in some domain (Healthcare preferred)
- Ability to translate business requirements into a technical solution
- Ability to think strategically
- Ability to define and relate business value to technical strategy
- Ability to facilitate and lead solution design activities
- Practical experience describing conceptual and logical solution designs
- Full Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) project experience on multiple projects (i.e., from discovery through adoption)
- Experience managing technical risks aspects of projects
- Experience applying existing strategies, standards, and patterns
- Consistent history of learning new technologies
Nice-to-Have Architecture and Business Skills:
- Experience serving as the lead architect on multiple projects
- Experience ensuring vendor work is thoroughly reviewed and meets requirements
- Strong knowledge of the Healthcare Domain
- Influencing and negotiation skills.
- Formal design experience with ArchiMate (preferred) or UML
- Practical proof of concept (POC) and technology introduction experience
- Experience defining standards and harvesting technical assets for reuse
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Certification in at least one aspect of IT. An architecture certification such as Open-CA, TOGAF, or ArchiMate would be outstanding.
- Experience coaching junior architects