Remote opportunity for an experience Solar Energy professional with experience in solar energy modeling. The ideal candidate will have experience using modeling software PVsyst and be able to provide specialist performance modeling and capacity testing support to Development and Engineering teams for solar project development opportunities, project acquisition due diligence, technology evaluations, and project’s substantial completion.
- Select data inputs and evaluate solar energy production output expectations using performance modeling software.
- Evaluate weather resources, run soiling and snow loss profiles based on project’s design and location.
- Analyze project’s data and simulation results, identify patterns and provide insights and generate high quality reports to support optimization of plant design, installed generating capacity and optimized energy production.
- Support conceptual engineering and energy simulation for solar power projects including, shade structure for Utility-scale projects and ground mounted systems.
- Evaluate site conditions and terrain topology to build high-quality shade models for PV ground mounted systems and Utility-scale projects.
- Coordinate with the engineering and construction teams on capacity testing evaluation including capacity test verification and runs in support of project’s substantial completion.
- Support the technology roadmap with equipment evaluation and simulation runs.
- Provide technical review of module and inverter technologies to support procurement and engineering with selection.
- Support due diligence reviews of project acquisition opportunities to insure project technical viability and support development of pro forma costs inputs.
Experience and Education
- Minimum BS degree in engineering, meteorology, atmospheric physics or closely related subject.
- Higher degree and/or electrical engineering experience on solar power technology an advantage.
- 3+ years of work experience in either engineering, power generation, solar industry, or architect engineering firms, with material direct experience in solar PV projects preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Previous renewable energy modeling experience is essential, preferably of terrestrial photovoltaic systems.
- Substantial experience with commercial solar modeling programs especially PVSyst is highly preferred.
- Ability to process different sources of solar project’s information including design drawings, KMZs, CAD files, Interconnection Agreements, etc. to extract critical inputs for energy modeling and capacity test runs.
- Proven ability to set up energy modeling assumptions based on project’s location and complexity of site conditions
- Ability to evaluate solar project’s site conditions in terms of tree shading and terrain
- Strong technical understanding of solar projects capacity testing requirements and calculations
- Proficiency with engineering, mathematical/statistical software and/or programing languages (e.g. MATLAB, Excel VBA)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Power Point, Project, Word and Outlook and proven ability to learn new software programs.
- Familiarity with computer graphics (SketchUp, AutoCAD or similar) for shading analysis, conceptual equipment layouts.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills with all levels of internal and external customers, including EPC contractors and Independent Engineers
- Detail-oriented and self-motivated high achiever with ability to multi-task, perform duties in a collaborative working environment.