Title: Software Engineer
Location: San Francisco
Responsible for the development and maintenance of the client's Data platform and all the processes supporting the management, ingestion and integration of data. The Software Engineer will also contribute in the design of new data lake components and data marts and will be responsible for the quality of all of the integration processes and the software development cycle.
- Provide guidance on production support for the Data Engineering ETL jobs internally to the team and externally to other business units in the bank.
- Support Data Engineering environment with exposure to database and ETL technologies.
- Partnering with Development, QA and Release Management teams on ETL code development handoff, production release management activities and problem resolution.
- Adhere to ETL/Data Platform Engineering Standards, processes and procedures.
- Identify and escalate issues requiring management assistance as needed.
- Ensure operational procedures and runbooks are documented for execution consistency, relevancy and auditability.
- Drive technical excellence and implementation of support and software engineering best practices.
- Identify areas of improvement.
- Develop solutions that enrich, streamline and automate level 2 data operations.
- Examples: dashboards, release engineering cicd pipelines, automated reporting, self- service, documented standard procedures, other integrations
Experience & Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related degree preferred
- 5+ years of MS SQL Server Database Development and/or 5 + Years of Oracle Database experience
- 3+ years of ETL Tools like Informatica or MS SSIS, etc.
- 3+ years of experience with scripting tools like Python, PowerShell, etc.
- 3+ years’ experience in production support team: having onshore and offshore resources
- 2 + years of experience with CI/CD (Github/Bitbucket, Jenkins) and Agile Methodologies.
- Improving support practices like automation, monitoring, alerting, metrics measurement, etc.
- Defining and obtaining maintenance cost reduction, uptime and stability
- In-depth understanding of data warehousing and BI concepts, including hands on experience building ETL/ELT data pipelines
- Strong understanding of ETL processing with large data stores. Strong data modeling skills (relational, dimensional and flattened). Strong analytical and SQL skills, with attention to detail
- Cloud Technologies (AWS) and containerization/orchestration (Docker/Kubernetes/OpenShift) exposure/knowledge
- Understanding of Kafka and Messaging Transports (ex: RabbitMQ)
- Snowflake, Liquibase and Denodo knowledge is a plus
- Knowledgeable and experienced on Change Management, SDLC, ITIL, PagerDuty, DNS and with problems and incident processes and procedures; production support in a 24x7 capacity and the ability to work competently under stressful conditions, which may arise periodically in the environment
- Participate in on call coverage
- Leadership Skills/Competency
- Proven ability working with high performing teams and motivate people, instill accountability, and achieve results in a rapidly changing environment
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills with the ability to listen, articulate positions, and influence outcomes beyond direct areas of ownership
- Consistently demonstrates and follows high standards of integrity in business decision-making
- Personal Skills/Competency
- A positive, enthusiastic attitude and the ambition to tackle challenging issues
- Looks toward the broadest possible view of an issue/ challenge; can easily pose future scenarios; can think globally about all aspects of the Bank; can discuss multiple considerations of an issue and forecast them into the future; understands how the Bank works, competes, serves clients, and generates shareholder value
- Negotiates skillfully in tough situations with internal and external groups; can be both direct and diplomatic; able to point out risks and provide best practices for risk remediation
- Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all; is a team player and encourages collaboration