Our Downtown Chicago client has an exciting opportunity to bring on a Jr. Software engineer on a contract to hire basis. This person will be passionate in software engineering and eager to learn new technology.
- Provide projects and project teams oversight in the design, development, and support of software solutions while making significant contributions in development tasks of increasing complexity.
- Applying best practices and standard operating procedures. Act as first checkpoint to ensure quality control standards are being followed.
- Creating innovative solutions to meet NORC’s technical needs.
- Work under minimal supervision. Create design documents and get them reviewed by Leads and Architects.
- Perform the most complex programming tasks in an application or system and take an active role in recommending improved software development policies and procedures.
- Consult with both internal and external clients in proposal development and planning stages for major systems efforts.
- Provide expertise to peers and junior developers as they plan development activities and software releases, to support staff as they identify trends and problem patterns and plan software patches, to Business Analysts while they develop requirements, Quality Analysts as they develop test plans and do QA testing.
- Prepare work estimates and manage task assignments, assist in technical planning and assessing cost, risk, scalability, and technical feasibility of solutions for major systems efforts.
- Working closely with clients and cross-functional departments to communicate project statuses and proposals.
- Analyzing data to effectively coordinate the installation of new systems or the modification of existing systems.
- Take an active role in developing software development policies and procedures under the guidance of the department manager.
- Contribute to and maintain process improvements.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent relevant expertise
- 3 years of experience in all phases of software development, including requirements, design, implementation, support and the product release cycles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Full stack development, back-end; Java, Python, C#, .Net, Spring MVC, SQL
- Software development methodologies; Scrum/Agile, Waterfall, Kanban/Lean, XP
- Apache Tomcat, Eclipse IDE, Git version control
- Open source participation, and/or code management with overlapping and concurrent release schedules of different code branches
- The ability to prioritize activities and deliver projects on time and within budget.
- Experience working with clients and business partners.
- A comprehensive understanding of computer science concepts.
- Excellent coding skills.
- Extensive knowledge of agile methodologies.
- Strong team-building skills.
NICE TO HAVE:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science
- Familiarity with database technology such as SQLServer, or Oracle.
- Familiarity with questionnaire data development in social science or marketing research is a plus.
- Successful candidates are self-motivated, detail-oriented, team oriented, organized, and can juggle multiple assignments with minimum supervision.
- Ideally, the candidate should have an inquisitive nature and an ability to quickly grasp requirements and details, as well as proposed solutions.
NORC offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including paid time off, holiday pay, medical and dental coverage, life insurance, short and long-term disability insurance, a 403 (b) retirement plan, and tuition assistance
WHAT WE DO:
NORC at the University of Chicago is an objective, non-partisan research institution that delivers reliable data and rigorous analysis to guide critical programmatic, business, and policy decisions. Since 1941, our teams have conducted groundbreaking studies, created and applied innovative methods and tools, and advanced principles of scientific integrity and collaboration. Today, government, corporate, and nonprofit clients around the world partner with us to transform increasingly complex information into useful knowledge.
WHO WE ARE:
For over 75 years, NORC has evolved in many ways, moving the needle with research methods, technical applications and groundbreaking research findings. But our tradition of excellence, passion for innovation, and commitment to collegiality have remained constant components of who we are as a brand, and who each of us is as a member of the NORC team. With world-class benefits, a business casual environment, and an emphasis on continuous learning, NORC is a place where people join for the stellar research and analysis work for which we’re known, and stay for the relationships they form with their colleagues who take pride in the impact their work is making on a global scale.