Highly Regarded Teaching Hospital with Outstanding Culture
Position: Service Line Admin
Location: Oakland California 94609
Term: 3 months
- Strategic Leadership:
- Direct strategy and outreach initiatives by working with Emergency and Trauma Services executive, operational leaders, and designated Medical Directors; developing detailed strategic and operating plans including financial targets, required resources and timelines for new and existing growth programs; facilitate the design and implementation of strategies for network and volume expansion including outreach, outcomes reporting, case rate pricing, and dissemination of research advances; develop productive relationships and effective communications with referring physicians, referral institutions and payers to promote ease of patient access to care; establish and implement a plan for teleconferencing and image transfer to satellite locations, affiliated institutions and referring MDs ; support ongoing development and improvement of the Emergency Services web site as a leading edge communication/information source for families and referring physicians; and work with legal counsel and Client leadership to develop appropriate contracted vehicles for working with Client on outreach.
- This role will bring together key stakeholders around the targeted interventions and collaborate with established programs with the Client. This position will assist the impact areas and their teams (comprised of sub-specialists, APN’s, other key support personnel) as they establish short and long term goals, and specific strategy to achieve meaningful change. Partners with program leadership to develop strategies to achieve the mission and goals of “One Program, Two Sites” and other medical service collaborations as necessary. Develops project plans specifying goals, strategy, staffing, scheduling, identification of risks, contingency plans, and allocation of available resources.
- Works to establish goals and objectives for the program prioritizes key objectives and work with the interdisciplinary team to meet the goals and objectives. Direct & facilitate development of internal and external interdisciplinary teams with an initial focus of tertiary program development at the Client and affiliates. Strategize and recommend infrastructure necessary to execute selected projects and processes. Provides business and operational/non-clinical oversight to assigned service line(s) in collaboration with Chair and Chief of Emergency Services and Chief Operating Officer. Responsible for assessing operating performance and development of operational standards. Participates in the strategic planning and program development for the service line. Collaborates with Chair and Chief of Emergency Services and Chief Operating Officer to develop and implement strategic business and marketing plans for the service line(s) to ensure growth and stability. Collaborates with physicians, department Chairs and other stakeholders to formulate and implement new initiatives.
- Program Management:
- Provide leadership and organizational support by creating focus and structure in the Emergency Services with clear guidelines and tactics for achieving goals and objectives; assist in the development of tools to measure performance; focus on both quantitative and qualitative measures of success; collaborate with Marketing and Public Relations to develop a coordinated approach for all promotion related to the Emergency Services both internally and externally; jointly develop and implement a comprehensive marketing and outreach business plan. Builds and facilitates collaboration across the areas of impact and team members. Works with the core group to develop the infrastructure of each area of impact. Coordinates the activities of each area of impact team under the direction of the team director. Develops program evaluations for areas of impact.
- Oversees management of specific work groups to achieve service commitments including sustainable, measurable, accurate, reliable, and timely execution of project deliverables. Provides day-to-day leadership and direction including, developing and administering policies, program processes, unit level education, quality standards, measurement criteria, and, in conjunction with leadership, operating budgets and sets high standards and encourages new ideas for improving organizational performance. Organizes and manages operations by directing and coordinating essential activities consistent with established objectives, goals, strategies and procedures
- Performs management functions by interviewing, selecting and providing training for new staff; by approving or disapproving recommendations from subordinate staff on personnel actions; by evaluating subordinates' performance; by hearing and resolving employee grievances; and by determining the need for and initiating disciplinary action in order to ensure adequate and competent staffing for the agency, program, division or institution.
- Financial Management:
- Direct the operational and financial management function of Emergency Services by collaborating with Senior Leadership Team and designated Medical Directors to develop and monitor plans for physician manpower and staffing in the Emergency Services; working with Senior Leadership Team and designated Medical Directors to create and manage a multi-year Capital Budget Plan that includes equipment replacements/upgrades as well as any capital requirements for program expansion; determine appropriate resource allocation for the programs within the Emergency Department and distribute the resources accordingly; and collaborate with the Emergency Services Executives and designated Medical Directors to design and execute a Emergency Services Outreach Plan with affiliated hospitals
- Build Emergency Services service line through planning, marketing and business development activities; create mechanisms to enhance revenues through system improvements or through the development of new opportunities; oversee productivity monitoring, staffing efficiency and benchmarking activities to assure patient safety and explore opportunities to improve overall financial performance; and collaborate with Client leadership in the identification and implementation of organization-wide processes or procedures designed to improve financial performance.
- Develops financial performance standards (revenue capture management and unit cost management) in collaboration with Chief Operating Officer and Chair,Chief of Emergency Services and implements and maintains systems and policies that efficiently schedules, registers, and bills patients in collaboration with Patient Access Services Team.
- Establishes financial benchmarks appropriate for assigned service line and develops utilization and productivity standards; develops systems to improve and provide in depth financial analysis of operations. Develops and refines business and facility plans to include strategies to maximize patient revenue and minimize costs, for high quality, and increased profitability of the service line
- Collaborates with leadership iin developing capital and operating budget for the service line. Monitors actual performance against budget; performs monthly budget reconciliations, directs the analysis of service line’s results relative to budget and past history. Identifies key issues, trends, problem areas, and remedial alternatives and effect on future operations and communicates findings to senior management
- Directs and implements space and facilities planning. Evaluates purchase requests for capital equipment and supplies and makes appropriate recommendations. Evaluates space requirements for the service line and coordinates future planning with Design and Construction. Ensures patient reimbursement process and procedures are set up and in compliance with established standards. Collaborates with Patient Financial Services to ensure proper billing and collections for patient services. Develops systems for periodic audits of patient billings to assess accuracy of billing and reimbursement
- Performance Improvement/Safety:
- Continually assess and improve the performance of care and services provided. Assure continual readiness for regulatory compliance. Maintain an environment that promotes patient safety and support the patient safety and quality structure. Meet annual safety goals as defined by the organization. Ensure a high level of customer service, including family centered initiatives.
- Regulatory Compliance:
- Lead all survey readiness efforts for area(s) of oversight and monitor unit compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies. Determine and enforce policies and procedures protecting patient rights for informed consent and the handling of confidential information as defined by Client’s mission and applicable laws and regulations. Follow Client’s established code of ethical behavior in decisions and actions regarding marketing, admission, transfer, discharge and billing
- Participates in the development, implementation and maintenance of departmental standards, policies and procedures. Ensures compliance with all hospital, state, federal and all regulatory standards. Leads process improvement efforts to effectively monitor quality and improve operational efficiencies.
- Quality Improvement:
- Identify and execute strategies to enhance the quality of patient care and customer service across the service line and assure the appropriateness and sustainability of mechanisms used to identify opportunities for improvements related to quality and customer service.
- Foster an environment that promotes a spirit of inquiry and continuous quality improvement and monitor appropriateness and effectiveness of patient care through an active quality improvement program. Monitor service areas, plan approaches for improvement activities, design new processes, collect and measure data, review and report performance over time, improve and redesign processes based on the evaluation, and reassess continuously. Performance over time will be reviewed and reported. Based on evaluation, the process may be redesigned or improved. Quality Improvement initiatives extend beyond the service area, requiring collaboration with other departments in hospital-wide performance improvement initiatives.
- Community Liaison/Outreach:
- Collaborate with Marketing and client to develop a coordinated approach for all promotion related to the Program both internally and externally. Contribute to marketing the outreach efforts including education, patient recruitment, posters and presentations at national conferences.
- Represents Client and partners with community-based programs to engage them in the responsibility for outreach and education. Works with all internal teams to collaborate on programs. Establishes relationships with key stakeholders throughout the community in other medical centers, governmental agencies, not-for-profit agencies, and the community. Serves as the point-of-contact for media relations on behalf of the collaboration. Speaks and presents to partner agencies, administrative leaders of the affiliated hospitals, governmental officials, and community and faith-based organizations. Positively invites and promotes the guiding of team members to build strategic, long-term, and tactical relationships with key personnel, business partners, and leadership.
- Program Evaluation and Improvement:
- Continually assesses market environment, service area demographics, market share, payor mix, customer satisfaction, service life cycle, and other functions related to operational performance of service line. Determines resources required (personnel, facilities, equipment and supplies) for effective administration and operation of services and programs.
- Responsible to oversee, manage and evaluate the effectiveness of the working groups and their outcomes and programs. Establishes rigorous data collection and review processes so that data may be abstracted, and analyzed. Additionally, oversees data collection and analysis for the areas of impact. Develops roll-up reporting so that the activities and outcomes of the Emergency Services may be monitored, reviewed, and analyzed. Creates monthly activity and data reports for the Surgical Services area of impact teams, and key stakeholders. Facilitates data collection and analysis. Finds new ways to reduce the cost, improve efficiency, mitigate loss, and increase profits
- Develops and adheres to project specific budgets in order to ensure efficiency and partners with key business units to effectively resolve issues, inquiries, and to design solutions that meet the mutual needs of internal and enterprise operation.
Is this a good fit? (Requirements):
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible and directly related experience
- Minimum three (3) years of related experience including leadership
- Experience in managing and leading programs, work units or departments, including experience in administrative or managerial positions.
- Proven organization/prioritization, decision-making, problem analysis and resolution, team building and leadership. Strong attention to detail and follow-through skills. Excellent public speaking, verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills. Analytical ability sufficient to compare, organize, and analyze data. Demonstrate an independent work initiative, sound judgment, high accuracy/attention to detail, strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task, diplomacy, tact and a professional demeanor. Capable of working with diverse populations and adapting to unique situations. Ability to use a variety of computer programs such as: Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Visio and Access. Excellent knowledge of Windows based programs to create complex documents, manage schedules, create process flows, and analyze data. Must have an in-depth understanding of the key business applications and a willingness to learn new applications/software as needed.
- Extensive knowledge of hospital operations in a multi-hospital setting; knowledge of appropriate professional standards for the multidisciplinary team.
- Advanced communications and interpersonal skills to promote an effective model of shared governance among multiple disciplines. Ability to motivate and engage all levels of staff in regards to patient care programs, strategies, and organizational mission and values.
- Advanced leadership, fiscal and operations management skills. Ability to develop nurse leaders in their adoption and promotion of a shared governance model of collaboration.
- Ability to develop a systems strategic plan and implement vision across a large, complex organization.
- In-depth knowledge of a broad scope of relevant regulatory requirements, as well as legislative, accreditation, licensing and compliance environments.
- Knowledge of finance concepts such as operating and capital budgeting, statistics, financial forecasting and modeling.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of organization, administration, fiscal and personnel management
- Knowledge of local, state and federal regulatory requirement related to the functional area Ability to communicate complex concepts in simple form to non-finance users to understand the appropriate use and limits of the information provided
- Ability to make effective oral presentations and prepare concise written reports to a variety of audiences
- Ability to manage, organize, prioritize, multi-task and adapt to changing priorities
- Ability to provide leadership and influence others
- Ability to foster effective working relationships and build consensus
- Ability to mediate and resolve complex problems and issues
- Ability to develop long-range business plans and strategy
- Bachelor's degree in business, health administration or clinical degree and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Master's Degree in business, health administration or clinical degree required.
- Registered Nurse
- Seven (7) years of related experience including leadership
- Project Management background strongly desired