Job Title: Senior Linux Administrator
Job Location: 100% Remote
Job Duration: 12 months
Job Description: The ideal candidate will serve as the technical subject matter expert for Hadoop, Linux, and Java Applications supporting handheld device data collection in a big data environment. The ideal candidate would have an in-depth understanding of the Hadoop Big Data platform in a Linux environment with a focus on security, performance, and reliability, and be able to communicate solutions, improvements, and workarounds directly to vendors to maximize the efficiency and minimize issues in the environment.
- Linux operating system administration, including bare-metal installation, configuration, networking, troubleshooting, monitoring, and security.
- Hadoop platform administration, including installation, configuration, networking, troubleshooting, and monitoring
- Virtual OS Platform administration (i.e. Azure, VMware ESX server) and Guest OS deployment, tuning, and maintenance
- Administration in Java-based application and environment, including tuning, troubleshooting, and deployment
- Administration in Tomcat-based Web Services
- Administration in the following Linux-based services: LDAP, DNS, NTP, and SCP
- Gathering and analysis of performance metrics such as memory, processor and network utilization on servers for the purpose of fine-tuning and improving resource utilization and anticipating capacity issues and bottlenecks.
- System back-up and recovery support
- System monitoring support (Nagios)
- Java Messaging Service (JMS) administration and troubleshooting
- Basic switch and load-balancer administration
- System security – controlling access to systems, system files, and networked resources via password and permissions restrictions; harden and secure servers
- Support to other data consumers within the company as well as the Device Testing groups.
- Five plus years’ experience with Linux Operating System Administration (LDAP, DNS, NTP, and SCP).
- Three plus years’ experience working on a big data team as the Hadoop platform administer (preferably Cloudera) working with and using tools such as Nagios, Ganglia, Kubernetes and docker.
- At least one year working with Azure performance monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Proven project experience working as the lead person troubleshooting data issues.
- This is a lead position and the candidates must demonstrate through past projects direct leadership and ownership of platforms.
Education: BS in Computer Science or Software Engineering, Master’s Degree a real plus