Senior Data Engineer
Contract to Hire
Target Remote Location(s): Redwood City, CA, Phoenix, AZ, Madison, WI
The Data Engineer II is responsible for the full lifecycle development, implementation, production support, and performance tuning of the enterprise data warehouse, data platforms, analytics, and reporting environments. This role will also be responsible for supporting the integration of these systems with other applications. The Data Engineer II will collaborate with different IT teams and will utilize technical expertise to design and develop complex solutions.
- Engage in the full development lifecycle, from understanding business enterprise data needs through solution design, development, testing, implementation, and support.
- Develop and automate data pipelines.
- Clean and prep data.
- Conduct reviews of code being designed and developed by peers and partners.
- Partner with analysts and other users of data.
- Provide expertise in data management, integration, analytics, reporting, and assist with technical and non-technical questions.
- Provide technical design for solutions from business and undertake code development.
- Provide technical support for code deployments, query optimization, and investigating data issues in data warehouses, operational data stores, and other disparate data sources.
- Monitor technology trends and solutions and recommend enhancements to our technical environment to keep pace with changing business demands and scale.
- Promote the role and capabilities of IT to enhance the professional development of all staff through example, recommendation, and accommodation.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-functional team environment.
- Ability to work independently with little oversight and direction.
- Adaptable, open to change and able to work in ambiguous situations and respond to new information or unexpected circumstances.
- Proactive, self-starter.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to operate in a cross cultural and complex matrix environment.
- Ability to build consensus across functions.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and trouble-shooting skills.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- 5+ years of experience in data and/or software engineering or related field as outlined in the essential duties.
- Demonstrated expert ability using SQL for data development, exploration, debugging, and query optimization; including, but not limited to, DDL and DML.
- Demonstrated success as a developer in the full scope of the development lifecycle; including, but not limited to, understanding business needs, design, development, and deployment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in ETL development and source code management.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in ETL job orchestration, batch process automation, and lights-out batch processing in medium to large data warehouse implementations, setup, and optimization of operational data streams using scheduling tools.
- Demonstrated ability to work within an Agile development environment and strong understanding of the Agile framework.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio.
- Experience with Snowflake or other cloud database systems.
- Experience with Python development.
- Experience working in life sciences, biotechnology, or related industry.
- Experience with or knowledge of Cloud Infrastructure services (i.e., AWS, SQS, S3, and GitLab).
- Experience using Agile development tools; including, but not limited to, JIRA, Confluence, and Matillion DDL repository.
- Experience with RestAPI development.
- Experience with BOX integration.
- Experience working with CRM systems.
- Experience as an Epic BI Developer (BID).