MATRIX has partnered with a premier client for a Senior Business Process Project Manager for a remote long term contract. Do you live, eat, and dream about running successful projects within an ERP environment? Do the following 4 bullet points describe your background?
- This person should understand P2P or O2C, or both in an ERP implementation
- This role requires someone with experience managing large ERP projects
Question for candidates:
- In two or three sentences, describe your ERP experience
- Candidates need to be very assertive and have ability to work in difficult environment
When projects need you to get your "hands dirty" with the details and be thoroughly involved with the business - do you get excited? Then this job is definitely for you!
High-level Project Overview:
Our client has embarked on a multi-year business transformation initiative principally in the form of two major ERP / point-of-sale migration projects. Ultimately, the business transformation initiative program will impact the day-to-day activities of approximately 16,000 employees at 850 branch locations across the U.S., re-envision the accounting and finance function of a $15 billion company, and help mature the infrastructure, processes, and internal procedures.
At the end of 2021, the business transformation initiative program has deployed the integrated a new ERP eco-system to more than 200 locations (and 3,600 employees) at one of our divisions and is now focused on adding to and refining the solution in preparation for deployment to the remaining 650 branches.
The business transformation initiative program expects to pilot the newly created eco-system in the first quarter of 2023 and to commence national deployment in the third quarter of 2023.
The business transformation initiative program is comprised of five major components, 1) business process definition (Order To Cash, Procure To Pay, Inventory, Record To Report) and related ERP configuration, 2) data conversion and migration, 3) technical integration with 40 external applications (the “eco-system”), 4) change management, training, and deployment activities (to the branches and back office), and 5) adherence to the business transformation initiative program Governance Methodology and Project Management Toolkit.
Key Integration Technologies: An ERP (and point-of-sale) application; integration is conducted via a variety of methods, including direct API calls, custom Mulesoft integrations, FTP / SFTP, and direct database calls to replicated SQL databases.
We have built a nine-member Program Management Office (PMO) that oversees nearly 30 project managers executing more than 70 concurrent projects operating across eleven (11) different workstreams.
Role Overview - Sr. Business Process Project Manager:
- This person should understand P2P or O2C, or both in a large ERP implementation
- This role requires someone with experience managing large ERP projects
High-Level Description of Ideal Candidate
- The ideal candidate will be an experienced IT Program Manager / Senior IT Project Manager who has contributed to the delivery of one or more large transformation projects that impacted the bottom line of a multi-billion-dollar company.
- The ideal candidate will have had direct responsibility and accountability for project delivery (as opposed to overseeing / interacting with an outside consulting vendor who was responsible for delivery), and direct responsibility for creating and executing the approach to project delivery.
- The ideal candidate will have had direct oversight for teams exceeding 40 individuals, either full-time or in a matrixed structure.
- The ideal candidate will have overseen one or more (a portfolio) concurrent technical projects requiring the integration of an ERP (Oracle, SAP) to one or more external cloud applications.
- The ideal candidate will have successfully utilized a defined Project Management Toolkit (waterfall, Agile, SCRUM, SAFe, or a hybrid approach) within a defined Program Governance Methodology and will have experience customizing the toolkit appropriately based on the specific needs of their projects.
- The ideal candidate will enjoy taking a “hands-on” approach, i.e., is willing to build project plans, lead and facilitate meetings, create presentations, validate the quality of deliverables, assign and delegate activities to resources, as well as enjoy thinking strategically about the overall approach to a project, i.e., is willing to build roadmaps, project charters, resource plans, risk and mitigation strategies, etc.
- The ideal candidate will be as comfortable presenting to the C-suite as they are when working with members of the project team in all other roles, including architects, vendors, and members of the business; the ideal candidate will be an exceptional communicator, in both written and oral forms.
- The ideal candidate will have strong vendor management skills and understand how to structure statements of work, integrated activity and resource plans, testing and deployment plans, with one or more vendors, concurrently.
Duties and Responsibilities of a Senior IT Integrations Project Manager
- Own the full project management life cycle of a portfolio of concurrent IT integration projects
- Understand the business objectives, i.e., the “why” a project is needed in addition to the activities to successfully deliver the project
- Work with resource managers to allocate work across fully matrixed product and functional teams in a way that balances priorities, capacity utilization, and technical expertise
- Work with Business Analysts, Business Leads, and Product Owners to prioritize work based on due dates, dependences, and project and business priorities
- Coordinate interactions between product and functional teams; facilitate coordination using dashboards, reports and meetings as needed
- Build project plans; coordinate timelines and release schedules; ensure that different project paces and methodologies are coordinated to minimize contention for technical resources, issues with dependencies, etc.
- Work with business sponsors, stakeholders, and other project / product teams to schedule releases; ensure releases are planned logically and in a way that best meets the capacity of the delivery teams and the needs of the project; verify release plans and support plans are in place and have the appropriate level of ownership and involvement from impacted teams
- Manage the functional and technical dependencies between work being performed by various other teams across the program
- Serve as escalation point for product and project teams dealing with conflicts, risks and impediments; work with program, project, business, and IT leadership, as needed, to drive resolution
- Lead cross team business requirement workshops and gap analysis activities
- Define project charters and project timelines; track milestones and deliverables to meet defined timelines; lay out course to get the project over the finish line (not just monthly or quarterly objectives)
- Compose and /or review SOW and hold vendors accountable for their commitments; escalate as needed
- Practice RAID log-based methodologies
- Work jointly with QA resources to plan testing based on agreed upon timelines
- Participate and align with deployment readiness team around training and change management for successful deployments
- Foster effective hypercare support and hand off to operational and business support teams
- Understand the underlying architecture for the integration solution and define and account for scalability and capacity requirements
- Develop / confirm business continuity disaster recovery plans
- Demonstrated track record in delivering multiple large, complex projects and/or programs as well as managing/mentoring of project managers with a strong focus on execution
- Experience with large complex ERP replacement and/or upgrade projects; focused on business transformation of the back office (accounting and support) and operations (distributed) process areas
- Ability to communicate effectively with IT and business management and executives across many mediums including email, report, verbal, and presentation formats
- Excellent overall written/verbal communication and facilitation skills for communicating at all levels; including strong presentation skills
- Demonstrate expert skills in team leadership and conflict management
- Knowledge of PMBOK processes, techniques, and tools
- Knowledge of waterfall, Agile, and hybrid methodologies
- Knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of project management
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications: Project, Visio, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; experience using JIRA, Confluence, Microsoft Teams, and Zoom
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to learn, understand and apply new technologies
- Ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Strong organizational, analytical, communication, planning, presentation, and customer service skills
- Ability to effectively work independently and across teams, functions, and departments
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Business acumen, conflict resolution skills, and critical thinking
- Accountable for delivery of large enterprise-wide projects
- Understanding of master data and processes
- Vendor management
- Experience delivering integration projects with internal resources and 3rd party vendors
Certifications and Experience
- Project Management Institute (PMI) Certified Project Management Professional (PMP) is preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of direct work experience in a project and/or program management capacity, including all aspects of system development life cycle
- Minimum 7-10 experience in delivering solutions for both the front office and the back-office stakeholders