Title: Portfolio Director, Corporate Services
Location: San Francisco (will be in office majority of time)
The Portfolio Director, Corporate Services, will report to the VP, Enterprise Portfolio Office Leader and be one of 5 key portfolio management leaders within the Enterprise Portfolio Office.
Specifically, this role will be responsible for the planning and execution of a portfolio of inter-related and concurrent projects within the Corporate Services functions, including Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, Enterprise Risk Management, Procurement, Marketing, Data and Client Insight, and the Office of the General Counsel. The role will have 7 direct reports, both employees and contractors (project managers, scrum masters, and business analysts).
This role will require close collaboration with other portfolio leaders, EPO team members, project managers, scrum masters, cross-functional partners across the enterprise, and Executives. The chosen candidate will ensure that the approved scope of projects within the portfolio is planned, executed, implemented, and transitioned to production on time and on budget while complying with enterprise project management standards. The program director will identify, address, and overcome any challenges that may arise in achieving milestones and results. Success will be achieved by influencing a wide range of technical and functional stakeholders, Business Technology partners and business groups within the above-mentioned functions to drive consistent delivery of high-quality business results.
The program director will hire, onboard, train, and manage constituent project managers and/or scrum masters and is responsible for developing a high performing team. This position is also responsible for the oversight of any required vendors to ensure that all activities are coordinated between vendors, technical resources, and functional resources. This role requires deep experience in the project/program/portfolio management space, in Project Management and Agile Best Practices, as well as people leadership and development.
- Manages and directs a team of assigned staff (7 staff)
- Adheres to, contributes toward, and mentors’ staff on the Corporate Portfolio Process and contributes to its continual improvement. Drives innovative ideas within the portfolio management and project management space. Drives portfolio reporting enhancements.
- Creates development opportunities to staff regarding performance and career growth
- Owns job descriptions, hierarchies, and competencies
- Contributes to a consistently high-quality new PM onboarding experience
- Applies AUX (adoption and user experience) and IT change management best practices, communication, and training standards to the team
- Adheres to resource management practices
Portfolio Management and Execution:
- Directs, on behalf of a defined set of business partners, a defined set of projects in alignment with company and department strategy and business goals, including capital planning, business case development, planning, reporting, and execution. Supports the annual planning process through identification, prioritization, and sequencing of initiatives
- Serves as strategic partner between assigned business units, vendors, Information Systems, Information Security, Internal Audit, and other impacted stakeholders. Manages project and program steering committees as appropriate
- May manage vendor relationships between account executives and business and technical units to manage contract reviews and addenda, Service Level Agreements for system availability, and service request escalation.
- Evaluates, monitors, and manages risks across the portfolio. Escalating as appropriate. Serves as the Risk Liaison representative between EPO and the bank’s Enterprise Risk Management group.
- Ensures adherence to budgeting, financial forecasting, benefit forecasting and management, and cost accounting standards across the program or programs. Drives accountability for hard project benefits.
- Executes annual planning in adherence with EPO processes
- Active participation in EPO tool development, product backlog prioritization and quality assurance to support use and adoption by EPO teams
- Supports change roadmap development and communication
- Supports any executive presentations
- Supports, with other team members, FDIC, internal, and any other audits of the portfolio as required to ensure compliance with our own standards
- Works with Operations Leader on planning and rolling out change
- Supports monthly All Hands meetings, Delivery Center of Excellence meetings, and other relevant portfolio meetings through content development, organization, and planning
- Contributes to customer satisfaction surveys and reporting
- Knowledgeable in the support and operations model for all EPO tech tools used by the team
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred) in business management
- 10+ years in portfolio management in a similar role
- 10+ years of strong agile and project management skills
- Proven leadership, relationship management, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills
- Successful track record of senior project level experience, including large scale enterprise wide initiatives
- Experience implementing and/or using advanced project portfolio management tools
- Experience in IT change management and organizational change management
- Strong people leadership skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and advanced development PowerPoint skills
- Articulate, persuasive communicator with ability to build trust and effectively work across all levels of the organization. Able to influence change and gain buy-in, including with executives and challenging audiences.
- Ability to influence without authority and think outside the box
- Ability to drive change
- Results-oriented; knows how to evaluate effectiveness of execution on a wide range of initiatives/programs.
- Skilled at defining, motivating, and driving change at executive level and across the broader community of stakeholders
- Ability to think strategically, with efficiency and productivity mindset, creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful
- Makes good and timely decisions that keeps the organization moving forward; combines analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment in decision quality
- Creates a climate where people are motivated to their best to help the organization achieve its objectives
- Service culture mindset
- Must be able to review and analyze data reports and manuals; must be computer proficient.
- Must be able to communicate effectively via telephone and in person.