RE opening at Redmond, WA
The Network Management Resident Engineer (RE) provides consultative support to external customers and works in conjunction with internal product support/R&D/systems engineering teams to scope and deliver professional service projects. Serves as on-site company liaison with customer on administrative and technical matters for assigned projects/products/solutions. Has responsibility for operational quality of system equipment. Provides highly visible customer support through the performance of on-site installation (Major Move, Add, Change, or Delete), as well as overseeing any necessary diagnoses, troubleshooting, service, and repair of complex equipment and systems. Checks out and approves operational quality of system equipment. Instructs customers in the operation and maintenance of the system. Interprets customers’ needs and clarifies if the responsibility for problem resolution falls to sales personnel, customer support reps, or engineers. This job may include any aspect of field support, and is not limited to system hardware and software, PC’s, and IP telephony/networking/ wireless networking.
Resident Engineer role encompasses a wide range of responsibilities from network strategy, design and engineering, implementation and migration planning, service design and proof of concept, implementation, testing, optimization services, customer training and advice and on-site support. The work is on-site with customers.
Resident Engineer will be required to work in a consultative manner with customers, solutions and marketing groups and systems engineering to scope and deliver professional service projects, which includes following responsibilities:
- Develop network architecture and services designs with the best architecture available to support our customer's services.
- Produce network implementation and migration plans.
- Configure equipment and services.
- Test and support networks in various stages of deployment.
- Audit and assess network against customer service requirements and best practices.
- Formulate network management strategies.
- Produce and review technical statement of work documentation.
- Provide appropriate training material and delivery of the training.
- Evaluate customer networks for performance, scalability, manageability and security.
- Provide recommendations to optimize the network operations and performance.
- Work with internal technical teams for product placement and feature improvements for reliability, availability, and serviceability.
- Work closely with customers to conduct network readiness and customer readiness tests.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with customer's technical and management teams.
- Occasional maintenance hour work expected in the role to support critical network events.
- 7+ years relevant work experience with a telecom communications equipment vendor or service provider in configuring, monitoring and troubleshooting IP/MPLS networks.
- 5+ years experience working with a network management system and/or administrating a network management system. i.e.5620SAM(NSP), HP (Openview), Netcool.
- 5+ years experience working with SNMP protocol.
- 5+ years experience with scripting language. i.e. API, XML, Python, and Velocity.
- 5+ years skillset in Linux administration (Red Hat / CentOS)
- 5+ years experience operating VM environments and servers. i.e. ESXi and KVM.
- 5+ years troubleshooting software applications in VM/Linux environment.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills to end-clients.
- Nokia products experience strongly preferred (7950XRS, 7750SR, 7705SAR, 7210SAS and 5620SAM (NSP).
- Similar experience on Cisco or Juniper network management systems will also be acceptable.
- Four years degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Nokia SRA and/or Cisco CCIE equivalent certification preferred.