Title: Network Engineer
Location: Remote - Raleigh, NC
Type: Contract-to-Hire - 6 months
Our client, the world's largest producer of wood pellets for energy consumption, is seeking a Network Engineer. The Network Engineer role plays an essential part in supporting the day to day operations by ensuring the stability of the client's corporate network. This role serves as a mentor and coach to junior Network Engineers providing guidance and training. This role serves as Network Architect on complex business projects, collaborating with business owners and third-party vendors. The Network Engineer serves as an escalation point for junior Network Engineers on complex network outage incidents. The Network Engineer III will participate in projects providing insight and support to business stakeholders and IT team members.
- Serve as Network Architect on complex business projects, providing guidance and solutions to meet business goals.
- Coach and develop junior Network Engineers to ensure solid support for the client's networked environment.
- Execute on network related project tasks such as installs, configurations and changes.
- Serve as escalation point on complex network related outages.
- Partner with IT Management on planning exercises related to capacity, scale and performance.
- Create and update network documentation to ensure all systems have accurate design documentation.
- Collaborate with other IT teams and business stakeholders to provide support and project deliverables.
- Partner with third party vendors to compare and recommend network solutions.
- Make recommendations for network improvement through data gathered in monitoring tools.
- A Bachelor’s degree with 7 - 10 years of relevant network experience. CCNA required. CCNP or higher preferred.
- Demonstrated mastery with routing and switching concepts, layer 2 and layer 3.
- Hands on experience implementing and supporting SD-WAN and public cloud connectivity such as Azure ExpressRoute or AWS DIrectConnect.
- Experience with external routing protocols including BGP.
- Mastery of QoS configuration and assurance.
- Experience implementing and using network monitoring and management tools such as Cisco Prime Infrastructure.
- Experience supporting Cisco Meraki and Meraki portal configuration preferred.
- Expert knowledge of layer one technologies including SFP+, multimode/single mode fiber and MDF/IDF configurations.
- Experience with greenfield network installs during new construction.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain security and firewall related configurations such as access control lists.
- Hands on experience with IPSec VPN tunnel maintenance.
- Has worked with various WAN technologies such as MPLS or DM-VPN.
- Experience maintaining a secure Enterprise Wi-Fi environment based on certificated/TLS.
- Solid understanding of VLAN’s, VLAN routing, transit VLAN’s and port trucking.
- Experience with internal routing protocols such as EIGP and OSPF.
- Understanding of certificate management and PKI.
- Ability to work with carriers to troubleshoot outages.
- Mastery of IP subnetting and CIDR.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, collaborate and communicate.
- Experience with tools such as Visio for network documentation.
- Must be able to travel up to 25% for projects and support.