Title: Network Engineer
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Network Engineer position is designed for persons with at least two years of experience working within the Cisco-based networking field. This position supports the hardware and software inclusive of the local, metropolitan, and wide-area networks. The position is responsible for problem resolution, general support, and participates in projects related to the network infrastructure of our client, its partners, and affiliates. The Network Engineer will act as a key technical resource for second-level support and will work both independently and as part of a team in a department with a strong customer service focus. This position participates in both design and implementation of solutions within the entire network engineering technology stack and provides input to management regarding process and technological improvements.
This role will have the primary responsibility of building Cisco router based site-to-site VPN connections with our client's business partners. Excellent communication skills as required to facilitate the ability to work easily with differing skill level engineers at remote sites. This role will also support some client VPN connections using Cisco AnyConnect and Palo Alto GlobalConnect.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Under general guidance, Design, develop, install, support, and maintain hardware and software infrastructure according to best practices; including routers, switches, wireless access points, wireless controllers, and firewalls.
- Diagnose problems and recommend issue resolution, often under time constraints.
- Provide input into Design and implement the necessary controls and procedures to protect information systems assets from intentional or inadvertent modification, disclosure, or destruction.
- Create and maintain network documentation.
- Ability to describe, in detail, the OSI Model.
- Ability to understand complex network environments.
- Ability to assist in and follow effective test plans.
- Ability to contribute to create an enterprise class network design when given business requirements.
- Monitor network usage to proactively anticipate problems and suggest possible solutions.
- Ensure enterprise class solutions are continuously provided by designing and implementing resilient, reliable, and documented systems that are appropriately supported.
- Work closely with colleagues to meet team goals and improve processes and procedures.
- Remain current on emerging technologies via professional groups, trade magazines, internal and external training, independent research and study, and other avenues available.
- Play a critical role in planning future business systems improvements.
- Willingness to learn, along with the ability to take and provide direction, and work collaboratively as part of a team that is geographically diverse.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to operate in a cross cultural and complex environment.
- Ability to build consensus across functions.
- Willingness to regularly work outside of normal business hours, when required, for support and implementations.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds for approximately 5% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on a 10-foot ladder.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 100% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on a computer and phone simultaneously.
- Ability and means to travel between Madison locations.
- Ability to travel 5% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Sciences or related field; or Associates degree and 2 years of relevant experience in lieu of Bachelor’s degree.
- 3+ years of experience with Windows, Mac, and iOS systems.
- 1+ years of experience working in Cisco based technology stack.
- 1+ years of experience configuring and supporting an EIGRP based network.
- Ability to describe, in detail, a broad range of application transport and network protocols; including SSL/TLS, DNS, DHCP, NTP, FTP, HTTP/HTTPS, SMTP, LDAP, OSPF, BGP, and EIGRP.
- 1+ years of experience with network traffic analysis, remote access methods and systems, stateful inspection firewalls, encryption, authentication and authorization technologies.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Sciences or related field.
- 2+ years of experience working in Cisco based technology stack.
- 1+ years AWS experience with EC2 based appliances.
- CCNA or CCNP certification.
- Strong oral, written, communications, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work under pressure and adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to describe the differences between IKEv1 and IKEv2.
- Ability to describe how IPSEC site-to-site VPN connections are negotiated.
- 1+ years of experience configuring site-to-site VPNs on Cisco routers and/or firewalls.
- 1+ years of experience configuring client VPN on either Cisco or Palo Alto firewalls.