Our client is seeking a Mainframe Systems Manager for a direct hire opportunity in Fort Worth, TX! The Mainframe Systems Manager is accountable for managing the System Programmers and Computer Operator Teams which are responsible for maintaining and administering the mainframe and all LPARs within the mainframe. Position provides direction to System Programmers and Computer Operators to install, configure and monitor these systems, and acts as a working manager by performing System Programming duties as needed.
- Develops and manages a productive Systems Programmer and Computer Operator Teams by hiring qualified people, utilizing effective communication and motivational techniques, providing ongoing performance management, rewarding higher levels of performance and by providing effective training and development.
- Acts as working manager by performing some System Programmer duties equal to or above System Programmer II level.
- Plans and oversees the development and performance of the operating systems by assisting the Information Services management team in setting department strategies and policies relating to mainframe issues and putting proper procedures in place to implement those strategies and policies.
- Provides leadership and guidance for the System Programmers and Computer Operators by supervising day to day activities and by establishing and designating work priorities.
- Ensures Information Service management team is informed of current issues, projects and deadlines by providing updates on an ongoing basis.
- Researches and makes recommendations regarding mainframe, hardware and software improvements and options by requesting and analyzing vendor proposals. Provides strategic direction for mainframe systems and resources.
- Oversees necessary system adjustments by examining user response time and conducting performance analysis.
- Oversees the administration of all applications on mainframe system by using appropriate monitoring tools.
- Ensures continuous support is provided regarding operating system, software and hardware issues by answering questions and/or resolving problems on a 24-hour basis.
- Performs system capacity planning by evaluating hardware and software configurations.
- Manages and maintains storage management and back-up policies.
- Knowledge of ALC, COBOL, DB2, VTAM, Z/OS, CICS, TSO and ISPF.
- Ability to lead and manage a work team.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills and multitasking ability.
- Strong attention to detail skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams with a collaborative interpersonal style.
- Good verbal and written communications skills with the ability to effectively document procedures.
- Possess accurate keyboarding proficiency.
- Ability to work weekends and after business hours.