5/13 - Need more candidates. Only one candidate moving to 2nd round.
Our Downtown Chicago client has an exciting opportunity to bring on a Jr. Software engineer on a contract to hire basis. This person will be passionate in software engineering and eager to learn new technology.
- Perform system set-up, software customization, application, and data support for existing systems. May perform hands-on testing in a project setting.
- Provide application and data support for existing systems, and writing data preparation, and report programs.
- Participation in design and architecture sessions; code, test, and implement programs; set up, test, implement and support non-complex applications in existing systems; perform data maintenance tasks.
- Will write subroutines or sections of new systems; investigate problems reported by system users; resolve problems and refer more complex problems to senior programmer or project manager; assist in training of system users and in preparation of documentation.
- Works in a team; receives assignments and moderate supervision from the IT project manager and/or senior programmer. The project manager/senior programmer will provide general specifications, schedules, priorities and will review the work of the Programmer I.
- Helps carry out tasks as requested by managers to meet needs of project managers and business analysts.
- Identifies trends and patterns in support requests that indicate a need for code revision.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or related field.
• 2+ years relevant experience including programming, testing, and database concepts.
• Strong communication skills. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with both technical and non-technical staff.
• Working knowledge of commonly used programming language – Java and J2EE technologies (JSP, Hibernate, Spring, Struts) or C# preferably; basic knowledge of all phases of software development, including requirements, design, implementation, support and the product release cycles.
• Good analytical skills, programming, testing, and deployment procedures.
• A working knowledge of customer service and technologies such as Python, MSSQL or Oracle, Windows OS, Eclipse, Git
• Knowledge of formal unit and system testing processes, and source code control.
NICE TO HAVE:
• Also helpful is a familiarity with build and release cycles, change control processes, open source projects.
• Will have strong analytical skills as well as strong communication skills and desire to work in a team environment.
• Knowledge of Microsoft SQLServer DTS/SSIS, database and data warehouse design and development, report development, and systems support, SQLServer, SSIS, Postgres, Access Database and data modeling.
• Detail oriented, organized and ability to juggle multiple tasks/projects.