Great foundational knowledge is needed across OS and security concepts. Need someone who can make things happen via mature insights into practical problems and coordinate with multiple teams. Most importantly – in your quest for excellence you will have made past mistakes and misjudgments about your capability, learned from them, and used that experience to improve what you deliver and how you operate.
This role will adapt to the person who fills it, but it is not a career-entry position. Innovative operational experience with Windows OS is primary criteria. Specific education or qualification are not required – but beneficial.
- Good general insight into a number of technology areas and how people interact with those systems to avoid interruptions.
- Not everything about Windows, but a healthy amount of unusual knowledge that helps you solve many real-life problems others cannot. You talk about these things at length in approachable language, even if you may not know how some things work at the deepest Win32 level.
- Managing security systems and client management infrastructure for client performance and reliability.
- History of security-relevant work output and passion, especially when not asked for. For example, delegating multiple areas in a file share with security groups, setting up proper permissions roles in a new tool, constructing a solution to detect or fix a unique security oversight.
- Competency around Active Directory, client management, and how it works at scale to produce a functional business network.
- Practical use of Microsoft Sysinternals toolset. Can remember perplexing problems only solved by ProcMon, Autoruns, ProcExp, or Sysmon.
- Great familiarly with Windows Event Logs for troubleshooting. Beyond just ‘Application’, ‘Security’, and ‘System’ logs is advisable.
- Native scripting and automation skills that anticipate edge-cases without accidentally deleting System32. PowerShell and Batch preferred, VBscript if willing to transition. You have good ideas about how to get information you need from Windows, like via WMI or CLR.
- Knowledge of methods to administer and troubleshoot Windows via command line interface.
- Good awareness of cloud technologies like AzureAD and Office365. Preferably in an administrative function.
- Ability to work in a very fast-paced environment.
- 5-8 years hands-on Windows administration experience.
- Experience with Security patch management using SCCM, resolving Tier 3 support ticketing issues.
- Experience with Endpoint Security using Symantec, Crowdstrike, etc.
- Powershell, Bash, Python scripting, Active Directory.
- Cloud platform experience on Azure AD.