The Internal Controls Specialist will play a key role in the Company's Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance program and its Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR). Conduct control reviews and report on the effectiveness of the organizations policies, procedures and resources. Increase the operating efficiency of the Company’s internal controls while ensuring compliance by management.
- Assist with the planning and execution of the annual SOX risk assessment process to support the SOX compliance plan.
- Prepare work papers and reporting documentation to support management’s ability to provide assurance of their internal control procedures.
- Work with capital project teams to assist in the identification and remediation of any control, DOA or reporting observations.
- Act as a technical resource for management in the implementation of their controls providing guidance on the proper detective, preventive and corrective controls needed.
- Review existing process based SOX documentation for completeness including process flows assurance.
- Preform control assessments for existing and acquired assets to define the gap and deficiency remediation.
- Identify control risks putting the most efficient control mitigation processes in place.
- Work closely with process owners and internal audit to remediate deficiencies
- Provide account reconciliation quality review support for management.
- Act as the liaison between management and internal / external audit in control related matters.
- Assist with broader Accounting, Finance and GRC (governance, risk and compliance) initiatives as they surface.
- A minimum of (6) six years of on-the-job experience is required.
- Experience in internal controls, data analytics, and capital project reviews is preferred.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, in accounting, finance or related field, is required.
- A Masters or CPA is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Section 404, and COSO Internal Controls Framework, risk assessment practices; Internal Controls over Financial Reporting.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft products, specifically Microsoft Excel. Experience with large accounting and maintenance ERP software (SAP a plus).
- A broad understanding of accounting practices (U.S. GAAP) and procedures is required.
- Must have advanced reading and writing skills, the ability to perform intermediate to advanced mathematical calculations, analyze and review large batches of data, and the ability to effectively communicate with others, both written and verbally, across all levels of the organization.
- Excellent project management skills: proactive, responsive, takes ownership and accountability, drives processes, meets timelines and critical deadlines.