Our Downtown Chicago Client is looking looking for a fullstack java developer on a 6 month contract to hire basis.
Full Stack Senior Software Engineer
This position is responsible for leading the design, implementation, and support of software applications developed in-house; leading the development of technical requirements, design & data specifications for applications; reviewing/directing work of developers for projects; and working with survey staff, project managers & members of other IT groups to develop technical logistics for projects.
DEPARTMENT: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY:
Our client's Information Technology program provides technology services to our staff and clients. Given the critical role technology plays in our day-to-day lives, we are committed to providing professional, high-quality solutions in order to further our collective goal of advancing social science research.?
- Provide projects and project teams oversight in the design, development, and support of software solutions while making significant contributions in development tasks of increasing complexity
- Develop specifications for software applications.
- Work under minimal supervision, lead and mentor teams of 2 to 5 members
- Perform a leadership role for reviewing the work and coaching less experienced engineers on the team.
- Perform the most complex programming tasks in an application or system and take an active role in recommending improved software development policies and procedures
- Consult with both internal and external clients in proposal development and planning stages for major systems efforts
- Provide expertise to developers as they plan development activities and software releases, to support staff as they identify trends and problem patterns and plan software patches, to Business Analysts while they develop requirements, Quality Analysts as they develop test plans and do QA testing
- Prepare work estimates and manage task assignments, assist in technical planning and assessing cost, risk, scalability and technical feasibility of solutions for major systems efforts
- Act as first checkpoint to ensure quality control standards are being followed
- Take an active role in developing software development policies and procedures under the guidance of the department manager
- Contribute to and maintain process improvements
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (Master’s preferred) or equivalent relevant expertise
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience required (7+ years preferred) in all phases of software development, including requirements, design, implementation, support and the product release cycles. Experience in database management and object-oriented programming
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with SDLC, including requirements, design, implementation, build and release/deployment, and production support
- Java, Hibernate, Spring MVC, SQL
- Software development methodologies; Scrum/Agile, Waterfall, Kanban/Lean, XP
- Also helpful: Apache Tomcat, Eclipse IDE, Git/Stash version control
- Experience with RDBS such as SQLServer, or Oracle
- Open source participation, and/or code management with overlapping and concurrent release schedules of different code branches