Location: Charlotte, NC or London, UK
Our client is embarking on an exciting and dramatic evolution as a global asset management company in order to become more client-centric, technologically-enabled, and data-driven. As part of this evolution, we are investing in Enterprise Architecture which will play a pivotal role in the intersection of transformation and innovation of our global organization.
As a critical member of the Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence (EA CoE), the Enterprise Application Architect (EAA) is accountable for proactively and holistically leading the development of future-state application architecture for the enterprise, in response to disruptive forces, and towards achieving targeted business outcomes. EAA provides the necessary leadership, analysis, and design tasks related to the development of an enterprise's application architecture. This individual creates deliverables that help develop a direction for managing the organization's portfolio of "to be" and "as is" solutions — including systems, shared infrastructure services, and shared application services and components to better match targeted business outcome objectives. The EAA is also responsible for defining application architecture standards, paradigms, reference architecture such as loosely-coupled, event-driven, cloud native, microservice architecture, principles that influence design decisions, and patterns that provide proven design solutions. The EAA leverages and uses application solutions to enable the organization's future-state business capabilities that, in turn, drive the organization's targeted outcomes.
- Understand business drivers and business capabilities (future and current state), and determine corresponding enterprise application designs and change requirements to drive the organization's targeted business outcomes.
- Design and lead the implementation of an application architecture across a group of specific business applications or technologies based on enterprise business strategy, business capabilities and business requirements.
- In close collaboration with business architect, lead the effort for enterprise-wide application landscape rationalization exercise, to reduce complexity, increase agility and mitigate risk, ultimately for enabling business operation model and business strategy execution.
- Manage and develop enterprise wide application architecture for a broader scope of reusable capabilities.
- Provide consulting support to business and data architects within projects to ensure the project is aligned with the overall enterprise architecture.
- Monitor the current-state applications portfolio to identify deficiencies through aging of the technologies used by the application, technical debts, or misalignment with business requirements.
- Understand business application trends and the practical application of existing, new, and emerging technologies to enable new and evolving business and operating models.
- Analyze the business-IT environment (run, grow and transform the business) to detect critical deficiencies, and recommend solutions for improvement (systems of record, differentiation and innovation).
- Define the principles, guidelines, standards and solution patterns to ensure application and solution decisions are aligned with the enterprise's future-state architecture vision.
- Design and direct the governance activities associated with ensuring application architecture assurance and compliance with standards.
- Develop a roadmap for the evolution of the enterprise application portfolio from current state to future state, and ensure seamless integration with enterprise data and infrastructure architecture.
- Facilitate the evaluation and selection of software applications to meet the growing business needs, considering both functional and non-functional requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, Computer Science, Information Technology or related field, or equivalent experience
- A minimum of 12 years of background in information technology, 7 to 10 years of experience in at least two architecture disciplines (such as Application/solution architecture, Technical/Infrastructure architecture, Information/Data Architecture & Business Architecture) in an enterprise environment
- Good understanding of strategic and new and emerging technology trends, and the practical application of existing, new and emerging technologies to new and evolving business operating models
- Understanding of agile methods and processes, and capability of supporting agile project teams by providing advice and guidance on opportunities, impact and risks, guidance on managing technical and architectural debt
- Extensive service management and service delivery experience with global companies
- Ability to communicate complex, technical topics to a wide variety of audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate, influence and persuade — both business and IT leaders as well as peers
- Ability to understand the long-term ("big picture") and short-term perspectives of situations
- Experience and expertise in domain driven design, and architecture transformation from monolithic to microservice and loosely coupled architecture.
- Experience with Azure Cloud, .Net tech stack for both service/API and UI development a plus.
- Familiarity with graphical modeling approaches, tools and model repositories
- Ability to rapidly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies