We are looking for a Data Warehouse Specialist for a national cloud data services company.
6 month contract- possible contract to hire
Location: 100% remote for the duration of the contract and beyond.
Key technical skills: ETL Technologies, SSIS, Database Administration
The Data Warehouse Specialist (DWS) plays an important role in on-going efforts to build data integration and warehousing solutions that support the organization’s success. Under general direction, the DWS is primarily responsible for activities related to the architecture, analysis, design, development, implementation, maintenance and support of enterprise data systems and related initiatives. This position will contribute greatly to the strategy of master data management, connecting data sources within each business unit, and working with stakeholders to ensure the success of data driven projects and initiatives.
- Work in collaboration with business leaders, analysts and end users to:
- Assist Project Managers and BI delivery team leaders in estimating effort and resources for new projects and enhancement requests.
- Analyze system requirements, gather all business information and develop plans for enterprise data projects.
- Ensure that the business requirements are correctly translated into technical specifications.
- Design, develop, implement, manage and maintain solutions that employ the appropriate data models, tools and reporting to achieve the business goals.
- Engage with IT teams such as Data Management, DBAs, Security, Storage and Networking when their involvement is required to meet the project needs.
- Develop and maintain solution documentation and training materials.
- Provide ongoing support to end users in use of the systems.
- Accountable for the ongoing operation of the enterprise data warehouse and analytic environments, including:
- Designing, developing, testing, validating, profiling, tuning, monitoring, managing data systems and components (e.g. scheduled jobs, processes, data delivery tools, etc.)
- Monitoring, diagnosing and repairing data systems and components as necessary to ensure continuity of service.
- Participating in the capacity planning and design of the technical and information architecture for enterprise data systems, including all information structures (staging area, data warehouse, data marts, and operational data stores).
- Coordinating with other IT groups and stakeholders to mitigate the impact on enterprise data systems during change control procedures in order to ensure the overall health of the data warehouse and analytical environments.
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert of data principles (data analysis, modeling, ETL/ELT, storage and delivery).
- Stay current in new data warehouse and BI technologies and may participate in evaluation and adoption recommendations.
- Participate in developing and documenting technical standards and best practices for the organization.
- Develop data warehouse process models, including sourcing, loading, transformation, and extraction.
- Verify the structure, accuracy, or quality of warehouse data.
- Map data between source systems, data warehouses, and data marts.
- Develop and implement data extraction procedures from other systems (e.g. administration, sales, billing, etc.)
- Design and implement warehouse database structures.
- Develop or maintain standards, such as organization, structure, or nomenclature, for the design of data warehouse elements, such as data architectures, models, tools, and databases.
- Provide or coordinate troubleshooting support for data warehouses.
- Write new programs or modify existing programs to meet business requirements, using current programming languages and technologies.
- Design, implement, or operate comprehensive data warehouse systems to balance optimization of data access with batch loading and resource utilization factors, according to business requirements.
- Perform system analysis, data analysis or programming, using a variety of computer languages and procedures.
- Create supporting documentation, such as metadata and diagrams of entity relationships, business processes, and process flow.
- Create or implement metadata processes and frameworks.
- Review designs, codes, test plans, or documentation to ensure quality.
- Create plans, test files, and scripts for data warehouse testing, ranging from unit to integration testing.
- Select methods, techniques, or criteria for data warehousing evaluative procedures.
- Implement business rules via stored procedures, middleware, or other technologies.
- Prepare functional or technical documentation for data warehouses.
- Test software systems or applications for software enhancements or new products.
- Other related duties as assigned
Qualifications / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field; or, an equivalent combination of education and relevant business experience.
- Related experience with design or administration of database/data warehouse systems in a production environment.
- Experience with Data Warehouse principles and methodologies (Kimball, Inmon, Data Lake, etc.)
- In-depth hands-on understanding of data design methodologies, data architecture principles, data modeling and interrelation of various enterprise data.
- Must understand the principles of data transport (i.e. extract, load and transform) processes and have hands-on experience using ETL/ELT tools.
- Possesses observation, interviewing, flowcharting and writing for to effectively produce system and process documentation.
- Ability to investigate complex business problems, develop effective recommendations, negotiate and present solutions, and resolve problems in a highly professional and tactful manner.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Highly effective analytical, decision-making, and written/verbal communication skills.
- Highly organized and able to set priorities effectively.
- Continuous Improvement Mindset
- Solid understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Data visualization, reporting and dashboard development (Tableau, PowerBI, etc.)
- DevOps and Agile Development processes