Atlanta based company searching for a permanent Automation Architect to join the team.
Our client owns and operates 180+ temperature-controlled warehouses in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, and Canada. We have nearly 13,000 associates and offer a wide variety of employment opportunities - from warehouse forklift operators and supervisors to accounting, customer support, engineering, transportation, and technology solutions positions.
You will lead the organization in developing, maintaining and governing the Automation processes and Automation Interface Architecture across the entire organization. You will work in promoting the automation design principles and standards. You will assist the business modelers and developers with the solutioning, design and development of automation processes, data and interfaces. You will provide leadership and guidance to the development teams on architectural practices and policies. You will partner and collaborate with operations teams in coming up with agile and sustainable processes for the deployment and management of automated solutions across non production and production environments. You will build strategies to develop the necessary automation competencies throughout the organization. You will apply proven communication, analytical and problem-solving skills to the software development life cycle in their designated area. You will drive out the key global business requirements and translate into workable requirements containing process information, data flows, comprehensive functional specifications and test plans - challenging any requests that may be unreasonable or unnecessary - and ultimately ensuring that project deliverables are met according to requirements. You will create and maintain up-to-date documentation pertaining to core IT and automated processes, software and business logic, software configuration as well as identification of hardware and infrastructure used to support.
- Design solutions related to warehouse conveyor/execution systems and warehouse management systems. Interface with EDI, Web, and Data Warehouse applications.
- Lead the creation and evolution of the automation architecture. Lead and facilitate the creation and implementation of automation governance practices and other automation tools
- Prepare detailed functional requirements for software development.
- Maintains software design principles to guide and govern how application solutions will be designed, integrated and implemented to lower costs and improve application maintainability, flexibility, scalability, robustness, performance, and ability to troubleshoot
- Follow established procedures for the design, coding, and testing of new software.
- Monitor performance of new applications.
- Provide guidance to business and development teams on which tools, practices frameworks and libraries to use for automation systems development
- Analyze enterprise business context (trends and business strategy), as well as change requirements to derive the automation architecture future state
- Produce thorough test plans and any specific test and load test conditions that must be met for all sites affected by software alterations. Perform UAT on software to ensure changes function for all sites. Supply knowledge and/or training as applicable to roll-out changes across applicable sites
- Assign and direct work. Monitor adherence to performance standards.
- Prepare time estimates for a project and detailed time estimate for each program within the project.
- Apply Project Management Methodology for successful implementation of IT Solutions in all projects ranging from new business launches to support of current business processes
- Work closely with the internal/external customer responsible to perform any tasks required as related to critical software and/or process alterations – such as: solution design, software and process testing, systems configuration, process and information flow documentation maintenance, performing of UAT’s, coordination of information distribution to site, etc
- Generation and compilation of corrective action documents, complete with probable causes and possible solutions to systems issues and follow through to deployment of solution
- Maintain detailed knowledge of where and how assigned disciplines are utilized across the organization. Close working relationship with the sites to create and maintain a cohesive and connected business system to support the needs of the business
- Perform majority of level two support on critical applications within the organization, escalating as required
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Computer Science or equivalent; or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Experience with implementing, configuring and maintaining enterprise software applications functionality such as WES/WCS, WMS, Distribution, Transportation, and Labor Management. JDA WMS and WLM are a benefit
- Experience in JDA platforms/languages, MOCA, Java, etc. is a benefit
- Experience in PLC technologies like Rockwell, Siemens, etc. is a benefit
- Relevant programming experience preferred
- Familiarity with XML and other integration platforms
- Needs to be a first-class problem solver – Logical and efficient, with keen attention to detail. Able to boil complex problems down to their constituent elements, and then formulate and evaluate a range of alternative solutions. Must have excellent conceptual design skills – an instinctive feel for which solutions ‘fit’ and which need rethinking.
- Knowledge of transportation and warehouse industries.
- Demonstrated planning, task organizing and execution skills.
- Strong communications skills (written/verbal), with emphasis on demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts between business and technical groups.
- Experience and/or knowledge of FMEA, ITIL, COBIT, ISO, and Project Management Methodologies
- Project management experience.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work in team-oriented environment.
Physical Requirements & Abilities:
- This position requires travel 50 - 75% of the time.
- May require a visit facility operations in temperatures at or below freezing
- May carry loads related to travel and occasionally lifts, carries, positions, or moves objects weighing up to 20 pounds
- Requires the use of various electronic tools
- Requires the performance of work activities including reasoning, negotiating, instructing, persuading, or speaking with others; and respond appropriately to constructive feedback from executive management
If this sounds like you, please submit your resume to begin a conversation about this opportunity!